Problem Running Design Expert 10 In Wine

Questions about Wine on macOS.
skidcore

Problem Running Design Expert 10 In Wine

Post by skidcore »

Hi all,

I've done a lot of research on this and was unable to resolve my problem so I am coming here as a last resort hoping someone can help me get the Design Expert application running in Wine.

I have installed the application in wine and it will initialize, allow me to go through file open screens, preferences, and even go through the first few steps of creating a new designs. However the application crashes as soon as I attempt to open an existing .dxpx file, or when I near the end of the create new design screens.

I've copied the error dump text but I noticed the forum won't accept .rtf or .txt files to be attached and the dump is quite long so I didn't want to just paste it here, but I can paste into a new post upon request.

If there is any additional data I can provide that would aid in getting to the bottom of this please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
skidcore

Re: Problem Running Design Expert 10 In Wine

Post by skidcore »

Well, I'm going to try to resolve this myself if I can. Normally error dump text is just gibberish to me but I took a look at the top few lines of the text:

Code: Select all

Unhandled exception: unimplemented function msvcr110.dll.??0event@Concurrency@@QAE@XZ called in 32-bit code (0x7b82e6e2).
Started looking into this msvcr110.dll file and noticed its in the vcrun2012 package provided by winetricks. Cool, thought I had it resolved. Ran the winetricks GUI and found vcrun2012 in the list, hit apply, and it went through the dialogue stating the package was installed. However, I'm still getting the same error.

Not sure where to go from here now. Is there something else I need to do to get Design Expert to recognize the msvcr110.dll file now that the vcrun2012 package is installed?
skidcore

Re: Problem Running Design Expert 10 In Wine

Post by skidcore »

All, I'm really pleased to say that I've resolved my problem and now have Design Expert 10 running in Wine with no crashes.

At the end of the day it was just the missing msvcr110.dll file that was preventing it from running properly. For some reason I was having trouble getting the vcrun2012 winetricks package to install. I ended up uninstalling DX10 and restarting Wine, reattempted the winetricks install, and for some reason this time it worked.

Verified install via control panel (vcrun2012 package now showing as installed software). Reinstalled DX10 and it is now working fine. In retrospect this was just a common Wine deficiency and was easily resolved via winetricks, but as a new user I'm really excited I was able to get it working.

Now that I know it will run cleanly I'm going to attempt reinstalling with WineBottler to streamline the process.