Questions about Wine on macOS.
SPlatten
Level 1
Level 1

Launcher set-up issues?

Post by SPlatten »

I the information on:

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX_FAQ#Instr ... e_launcher

Correct for the current OS X release ? I've tried following the instructions to add a shortcut for launching HeidiSQL but it didn't work.
SPlatten
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Launcher set-up issues?

Post by SPlatten »

Having re-read my own post and not being able to edit I would like to clarify to make things clearer:

I tried to create entries on the Launch Pad for two applications, HeidiSQL and PsPad. I tested both with Wine on OSX and both worked but the instructions I followed at:

https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX_FAQ#Inst ... e_launcher

These didn't work, I just changed the entry for the path and application to be correct and saved the file as .app but this didn't work.
SPlatten
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SPlatten »

I also tried following the instructions on:

https://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

However this didn't work either. Wine does not appear to be installed in:

/usr/local/bin

Is there an accurate guide on how to get the current release to work with launch bar scripts?
Indeg

Post by Indeg »

Doesn't the WineHQ package install to $HOME/Applications or system-wide under /Applications. This post may be useful or could you use the WineHQ Launchpad entries as a starting point? I don't have access to a new enough Mac to try the packages myself.
SPlatten
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SPlatten »

WineHQ does install in the Applications folder, but this isn't the problem, I want to create shortcuts to HeidiSQL and PSPad on the LaunchPad, so I don't have to launch the terminal and type in wine ~/.wine/driver_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/HeidiSQL/heidiisql every time I want to launch it.
Indeg

Post by Indeg »

First, What version of OS X are you running? I also see I wasn't as clear as I thought. The wine program is inside the WineHQ .app package. Which means /usr/local/bin is absolutely wrong. Poke around in whatever package you installed for the actual path, in which ever Applications folder you installed it in. For the script editor instructions I will note the DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH is not necessary to edit anymore as per that mailing list post.
SPlatten wrote:...I want to create shortcuts to HeidiSQL and PSPad on the LaunchPad, so I don't have to launch the terminal and type in wine ~/.wine/driver_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/HeidiSQL/heidiisql every time I want to launch it.
No, I understood that. Fairly trivial to slap together a shell script you can launch to do this. Launchpad, seems Apple keeps "improving" it. Besides moving where they stored the db for it, you may need a more fully fleshed out Info.plist for your .app to have it actually show in Launchpad at all.
SPlatten
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SPlatten »

The very latest Sierra.
SPlatten
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SPlatten »

For anyone having the same problem, in the end I created scripts which reside in my home folder:

Launch vi, create a file called HeidiSQL, insert:

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/HeidiSQL/heidisql.exe

Save and exit file, grant file execute permissions:

chmod +x HeidiSQL

Launch wine terminal and type in ./HeidiSQL to launch, I then did the same for PSPad.exe:

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/PSPad\ editor/PSPad.exe