Can't get Fallout 3 GOTY working due to New Game crash?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
EnigmaMachine94

Can't get Fallout 3 GOTY working due to New Game crash?

Post by EnigmaMachine94 »

I'm running it on Steam through Wine on my Macbook Pro 2015, and the game runs perfectly up until I hit New Game. The only other thing I've noticed that I'm not sure about is that sometimes the "download" option in the main menu is greyed out, and other times it isn't, and it is definitely the Game of the Year edition. I've followed the advice on the WineHQ page, changed the recommended lines in the .ini file to be appropriate to my laptop's core count, and I've also tried downloading the recommended .dll file fix and putting it in the directory, but neither works. People online have been saying that they can get it to work for them on mac so I don't understand why it won't work for me even though I'm taking the same steps to fix it as them. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get it to work? I can run plenty of other Bethesda games on my Macbook without even a hiccup, including Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout New Vegas. It also works fine with many other games too, such as Hitman: Blood Money. This is the only time this has happened and I spent literally 10 hours yesterday trying to fix it to no avail. If I need to restore default settings, I'm not sure how to do that on Steam, I'm pretty new when it comes to PC gaming and tinkering with my files, so I'd appreciate any help that I can get, especially if you could have it in as much detail and step-by-step as possible. Thanks!