MS Money "running low on memory.." but I'm actually not

Questions about Wine on macOS.
sirhotpants

MS Money "running low on memory.." but I'm actually not

Post by sirhotpants »

Hi everyone- Hopefully someone can help because I'm stumped. I've been using MS Money for about seventeen years and have missed it immensely when switching to Mac in 2014. My brother knew about this and pointed me toward using Wine on my Mac to operate MS Money. Here is one of the How-To guides that I followed, and here is the other. I follow the directions on both of these sites to a T and the very last step in the process, running the Wine Application that I created called Microsoft Money, triggers the following error message:

Money has experienced a problem and cannot continue.

If you are running low on memory, try closing some programs and running Money again.

I haven't been able to get past this. I just tried looking through the FAQ here and didn't see anything that specifically addressed this. Can anyone help me out? Thank you, I'd sincerely appreciate it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 9.16.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 9.16.14 AM.png (11.71 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
dimesio

Re: MS Money "running low on memory.." but I'm actually not

Post by dimesio »

Both the howtos you linked to are for Wineskin, which is not supported here. This forum is for plain Wine only. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16403

I tested Money Plus Deluxe Sunset in plain 1.9.2, and all it needs to work is winetricks ie6. But even without that, I cannot reproduce the problem you are reporting.
sirhotpants

Post by sirhotpants »

Thank you for the quick reply, @dimesio. I assumed Wineskin was a kind of sub-application associated with Wine. Since the idea of utilizing an app such as Wine in order to open up a windows program on my Mac is pretty new to me, would you mind pointing me in the direction of a download for 'plain' Wine (the original, I guess...) so that I could give this a whirl and see how it works? Thank you! :mrgreen:
sirhotpants

Post by sirhotpants »

Edit- Obviously I can see the download links on the main page of this site, but wasn't sure if I needed the specific one for Mac OS X (WineHQ Binary Packages) or if the Wine 1.9.2 would work.

I use OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 if that matters.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You need the binary for Mac OS X.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

I know this is an old post, but I tried using MS Money Sunset and keep getting an error when I open or try to create a file:

It says it encountered a serious problem and needs to close (in windows).
In the wine terminal it says: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x2458cab6 (thread 0032), starting debugger...

I have Mac Sierra and I was using Wine (latest one 2.0) and installed ie6.0.

Any thoughts on how to get MS money to work?