Wine Spinning Ball of Death

Questions about Wine on macOS.
pentad2k

Wine Spinning Ball of Death

Post by pentad2k »

I'm currently using wine-devel @1.8-rc1_0 via MacPorts on my mid 2015 MBP running 10.11.1. I like to run Notepad ++, WinVice, Windows Notepad, and a few other applications under Wine. Up until recently they have worked perfectly. Now, when running any of these, if I switch to an OS X application and then switch back, they get the spinning ball of death and I have to force quit out of Wine.

Example: I'm writing some code in Notepad ++, I switch to an OS X application, copy some text, and then switch back to Notepad ++ all I get is the spinning ball of death.

I have deleted my drive_c folder and allowed Wine to recreate it and then install a fresh copy of my Windows apps to see if that solves the issue. No change.

I would estimate that this has occurred for the last few development Wine builds. However, I'm not sure if it is a Wine issue or a MacPorts issue.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you,
-P
pentad2k

Re: Wine Spinning Ball of Death

Post by pentad2k »

I have an update:

I uninstalled wine-devel @1.8-rc1_0 and reinstalled wine @1.6.2_4 stable and it works great. No more spinning ball of death when switching between applications.

It has to be a bug in the newer builds of wine. It would be nice if they could fix it before 1.8 goes gold.

Thanks,
-P
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Wine Spinning Ball of Death

Post by doh123 »

you should try the latest 1.7.x series, and try to find when the problem occurred... and put in a bug report, or this is likely to be in 1.8 release.