Eh, I think I suck at this...

Questions about Wine on macOS.
guyontilt

Eh, I think I suck at this...

Post by guyontilt »

Hey guys,

So, a bunch of months ago, I installed Wine and Winebottler to get a simple poker app (PokerStove) installed on my laptop that was only made for Windows (though now it's been made for Android as well), and, after some messing around and getting a feel for what was going on with this whole new (to me) Wine thing, I got it up and running. The only problem I found I kept running into was when I went to save a file of hand-ranges, it would pretend it was letting me save it into a directory, but when I would go to open that file at a later date, it would open as empty. Meaning I'd click on the named file and it would open as if everything were fine, only the file that opened would be completely blank, the same as if I had just started a new file.

Oh well, though, I thought. Whatever. Not the biggest deal in the world. Would be nice to have a fix for though, if anybody has any idea how I'm being an idiot (it's probably something super simple and I'm just a dolt).

Anyways. Today, I went to install yet ANOTHER poker program that's only Windows-based (Combonator), and I seem to have completely forgotten how to get Wine/Winebottler to do anything that isn't installing/running an application that works right out of the box. I browsed the Wiki and read any section that might be applicable to my sucking at MacOS's and at life, but to no avail. So, I came here. In hopes that my dumbness and retardation could be cured by the gurus at WineHQ/WineForums and all would be well in the world of me getting sucked into poker projects for multiple hours at a time.

So. Here's what's happened so far:

Downloaded an .exe
Ran the .exe using Winebottler
Ran through setup and installed successfully
Have the wizard open readme and application at close
Readme pops open, along with this error message:

---
Program Error

The program combonator.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. You may want to check http://appdb.winehq.org for tips about running this application.

If this problem is not present under Windows and has not been reported yet, you can report it at http://bugs.winehq.org.
---

The first part I did (searched appdb); the second part I did not do, yet (report it as a bug).

So, yeah. That's kinda what's happened to me so far in the last 20 minutes on this sunshiny Friday afternoon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
guyontilt

Re: Eh, I think I suck at this...

Post by guyontilt »

Mmmm... not sure how this got on the Linux forum. Obv meant to post it to the Mac OS X.
L. Rahyen

Re: Eh, I think I suck at this...

Post by L. Rahyen »

If you want to get help here, do not use WineBottler, it is unsupported here like all other third-party wrappers. Use plain Wine instead. Then reinstall your application in clean Wine prefix and try again. Make sure you are using Wine 1.5.11 or at least 1.5.10. If your application will not work, post terminal output and steps to reproduce the problem.