Playing new Star Wars MMO on MacOS 10.6

Questions about Wine on macOS.
sd_fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sd_fuller »

Hi,
Wine looks like a great way to be able to play games that were only released on Windows... Is anyone currently using it to play the new star wars MMO? If so, can you share with me how is it working for you?

I have a older 24" iMac (which is intel based - 2007) and based on what I am reading on the game site as well as here I think Wine would work (provided that the game is supported). The SWTOR web site is saying that it SHOULD work with bootcamp, but that would also require buying a copy of windows as well as carving out hard disk space etc. - all to play a game that I am not sure would run or function properly. Wine seems to be a much better solution.

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions from the community.

Thanks,
Scott
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 12:04 PM, sd_fuller <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi,
Wine looks like a great way to be able to play games that were only released on Windows... Is anyone currently
using it to play the new star wars MMO?  If so, can you share with me how is it working for you?
Please take time to search through the Forums before posting. You
would have found that this program is NOT working as it should with
Wine at the present time.

James
sd_fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sd_fuller »

Thanks. I did search the site and found a number of posts, but not the bug one. Man, I was getting excited from reading that people were having success with it. Is everyone having this issue I wonder?

Scott
tparker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tparker »

On 12/28/2011 3:43 PM, sd_fuller wrote: Is everyone having this issue I
wonder?

I know several people who have/are trying but do not know anyone (myself
included) who has gotten the live version to work through wine. We all
with get stuck at the splash screen/server selection.
sd_fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sd_fuller »

Thanks again! It seems that there is not ANY really good solution at the moment. I see people having issues with bootcamp as well. The ones that can get on are having laggy or slow frame rates. A few have suggested that having more ram (like 8 gigs or more) will help performance. I have the max for my system which is 4, so not sure if even Wine will work (once the bug is tracked down and fixed).

Thanks to all for your responses and I will keep watching the bug tracker thread to see if/when a solution is found. Too bad they did not just make a Mac OS version like blizzard did for WoW.

Scott
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On 12/28/11 2:54 PM, sd_fuller wrote:
Thanks again! It seems that there is not ANY really good solution at the moment. I see people having issues with bootcamp as well. The ones that can get on are having laggy or slow frame rates. A few have suggested that having more ram (like 8 gigs or more) will help performance. I have the max for my system which is 4, so not sure if even Wine will work (once the bug is tracked down and fixed).
Wine should work and if your machine is limited to 4GB of ram, it may
also be 32 bitness.

Using BootCamp just allows you to install Windows alongside MacOSX.
Windows7 has a minimum requirement of 4GB of ram to run well (not the
best, just well).

James
sd_fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sd_fuller »

Thanks - So it sounds like if/when the bug is resolved that Wine would be the way to go. Now it is just a matter of having the smart Wine community figure out how to overcome the issues at hand.

Scott
sd_fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sd_fuller »

I keep tracking the bug report - is that the best way to determine if/when WINE would work for my gaming purposes?

Thanks, Scott
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

As soon as someone gets it to work... it'll probably show up in the bug report or the AppDB entry somewhere.

There might be a native client in the future, since they have recently said they want to look at other platforms next... with Macs first... but HeroEngine is putting Mac and Linux support in their OpenGL version, so its likely they'll have a Linux version as well for not much extra cost if they do a Mac version... so Wine may not be needed. Of course there is no guarantee any of that will ever happen... so Wine may be needed.