wine application uses all of my memory

Questions about Wine on macOS.
wine128

Post by wine128 »

Hi...I'm using BackTrack linux for a class I'm taking and using a program in wine that is just using all of my memory. Any ideas on how I can limit this program from using all of my memory. I'm on a mac running vmware fusion 4.0 and have backtrack 5r1 as a vm
Charles Davis

Post by Charles Davis »

On Oct 12, 2011, at 9:06 PM, wine128 wrote:
Hi...I'm using BackTrack linux for a class I'm taking and using a program in wine that is just using all of my memory. Any ideas on how I can limit this program from using all of my memory. I'm on a mac running vmware fusion 4.0 and have backtrack 5r1 as a vm
That's not a Wine question. Ask the BackTrack guys.

But before you do, why are you running Wine in a Linux VM, when you can just run Wine directly on Mac OS X? Yes, it does work. I use it myself. (See http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX .)

In fact, why are you even bothering with Wine at all? Nine times out of 10, the right solution (as I've said in elsewhere) is to find a native program that does what you want on whatever OS you're running, rather than messing with Wine--especially on Mac.

Chip
wine128

Post by wine128 »

part of the class is to get it going on backtrack VM
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Is there a free trial version of that program?

Are you even allowed to name the software in question (ok, just kidding)?

Did you test the same program under a native Linux without any VMs around, will there be the same memory consumption?

Does the same issue occur, if you run Ubuntu or opensuse in VMware Fusion and use wine?
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

few more questions:

Which wine version are you using?

Where from did you get a current wine binary for Backtrack? Just copying a Ubuntu/Debian package over to Backtrack may be part of the issue.
wine128

Post by wine128 »

actually there is no native linux version..Just a windows version.
wine128

Post by wine128 »

wine-1.2.2
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

You probably should get a more current wine version, 1.3.30, and I assume you don't want to compile yourself, so you should get a binary fitting to the distribution. I don't know, what Backtrack actually is, seems a mixture between debian and Ubuntu, therefore I'd propose to install a mainstream linux like Ubuntu or opensuse for some tests, for them you can get easily binaries.

about "linux version":
What I wanted to say, if you have (access to) a linux installed without any VMs or other virtual machines stuff, will the program behave better when run with wine? Maybe the VMware stuff is interfering with wine's memory management.