mmdevapi changes

Questions about Wine on macOS.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

mmdevapi changes

Post by doh123 »

looking for some input before I file a bug.. see if its needed... This is all only on Mac OS X.

On Star Trek Online, it has run in Wine since around 1.1.40 through current 1.3.26. It always needed mmdevapi set to disabled for sound to work.

Starting at 1.3.25 there is no sound... so I was told mmdevapi changes made it need mmdevapi enabled again to get sound. The problem is if i enable mmdevapi in 1.3.25 or 26 it just crashes the game... below is the log from when it crashes.

http://pastebin.com/rTeMsPvx

so saw nothing useful in the log... I'm wondering though if is a CoreAudio problem since it seems thats often overlooked for sound.
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

After
wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00000008 at address 0x489caf73 (thread 0063), starting debugger...
ideally there'd be a backtrace. Did you get a Wine crash dialog?
Clicking ok on that makes the backtrace come out in the log.

But you probably knew that.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

DanKegel wrote:After
wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00000008 at address 0x489caf73 (thread 0063), starting debugger...
ideally there'd be a backtrace. Did you get a Wine crash dialog?

nope... clicking OK on the error dialog that came up saying GameClient.exe crashed freezes Wine and I have to kill the X server after several minutes of it just churning at 100% CPU usage. This happens with 99% of anything I run in Wine anyways for years... kinda assumed it was common. Maybe its just an OSX thing.
DanKegel

Post by DanKegel »

IIRC OSX has slow symbol lookup, I wonder if that's what's going on.
Wouldn't make X slow, though.

Don't take it for granted. File a bug, perhaps.
jjmckenzie

mmdevapi changes

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 8:53 PM, doh123 <[email protected]> wrote:
DanKegel wrote:
After
ideally there'd be a backtrace.  Did you get a Wine crash dialog?

nope... clicking OK on the error dialog that came up saying GameClient.exe crashed freezes Wine and I have to kill the X
server after several minutes of it just churning at 100% CPU usage.  This happens with 99% of anything I run in Wine
anyways for years... kinda assumed it was common.  Maybe its just an OSX thing.
Doh123: Since I'm a fellow Mac user, contact me OFF LIST so I can get
particulars on this and try to replicate. I don't keep all of the
messages so if I don't see something 'interesting' I delete the
thread.

James
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

I've done further testing with many Wine versions... I still cannot get crash logs... I let it set at a crash for about 30 minutes and it still never did anything but hang. I pretty much figure things out as I go, so since its not something I ever messed with, I really don't know much about them.

What I have found is that on STO...

with mmdevapi disabled, sound works fine on all Wine versions 1.1.40 up to 1.3.24 and sound stops working on 1.3.25.

with mmdevapi enabled, sound doesn't work, until 1.3.18 then it actually works... but starting on 1.3.19 the crash actually starts happening... I only noticed it on 25 and 26 because I never needed to enable mmdevapi until those versions. so the crash difference is definitely happening between 1.3.18 and 1.3.19.... so I might have to do a regression test.