Poor: Installing champions online (improved)

Questions about Wine on macOS.
bat394
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bat394 »

Hi,

I cannot seem to be able to install champions online no matter what.

I have tried installing it with wine bottler, wine skin, crossover, and crossover games, and every time the same thing happens: a window pops up saying program error, an error has occurred. This happens when the champions online starts installing. It is driving me insane.

Please help me and tell me what I need to do.

Right now I have wine version 1.0
And Wine Skin 2.5 (and I have tried both)

I own an OSX laptop
It has 175.5 GB available
It is 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I am using a mac version 10.6.7

Thanks a lot and please respond
dimesio

Re: Poor: Installing champions online (improved)

Post by dimesio »

I have locked your four other threads on the same topic. I will leave this thread open. If you try to pull the same stunt again, I will delete all your posts.
bat394 wrote:I have tried installing it with wine bottler, wine skin, crossover, and crossover games, and every time the same thing happens: a window pops up saying program error, an error has occurred. This happens when the champions online starts installing. It is driving me insane.

Please help me and tell me what I need to do.

Right now I have wine version 1.0
And Wine Skin 2.5 (and I have tried both)

I own an OSX laptop
It has 175.5 GB available
It is 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I am using a mac version 10.6.7
First, third party apps, which includes WineBottler, Wineskin, and Crossover, are not supported here. This forum is for plain Wine only.

Second, the version of Wine you are using is over three years old and no longer supported.

Upgrade to the latest development release of plain Wine. If it still doesn't work, post terminal output.
bat394
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks

Post by bat394 »

Sorry about posting the same thing... I couldn't figure out how to delete the others... See I read the guide lines, and It told me how to improve my posts and I'm sorry for that...

Thanks for the help
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On 8/11/11 5:19 PM, bat394 wrote:
Hi,

I cannot seem to be able to install champions online no matter what.

I have tried installing it with wine bottler, wine skin, crossover, and crossover games, and every time the same thing happens: a window pops up saying program error, an error has occurred. This happens when the champions online starts installing. It is driving me insane.
We do not and cannot support third party applications like WineBottler,
WineSkin and we certainly do not provide support for CrossOver (all have
their own support fora).

Now onto the real problem. You need to find and install just the base
Wine product as dimensio has suggested. I recommend using either
MacPorts, Fink or the osxwinebuilder script (it is updated for each Wine
release) and install the development version of Wine.

Next, run the Installer from Terminal (Applications folder -> Utilities
folder -> Terminal) and capture a logging file. The FAQ has
instructions on how to do both processes. Post the logging file to a
site like pastebin.com.

Next question: Is there a demo where the problem can be recreated?

James
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On 8/11/11 6:12 PM, bat394 wrote:
Sorry about posting the same thing... I couldn't figure out how to delete the others...
You cannot. However, you can always add additional information to a
topic through the "Post Reply" button. Editing is not allowed (see the
Sticky topic for why).

James
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

If your really wanting to just get it working in Wineskin... I already made a Star Trek Online wrapper that takes very slight modifications (changing the exe name) to run Champions, since they are both built off the same base engine and everything. There is a post on the STO official forums about it.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=76799. Many people have reported playing Champions fine using this.

If you want to try it in Wineskin yourself, just send in a support message on the official website (http://wineskin.doh123.com/) and I'll help as I can.
bat394
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks

Post by bat394 »

Ok so I read it and downloaded STO... so what do I do from here? Thanks so much. (I'm young and don't know that much about computers, however I can figure most things out with help
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Thanks

Post by doh123 »

bat394 wrote:Ok so I read it and downloaded STO... so what do I do from here? Thanks so much. (I'm young and don't know that much about computers, however I can figure most things out with help
From there you post on the STO forums if possible... this isn't a topic for these forums since many people get all these messages in the mailing list, and its so off topic it is really rude to discuss here.

Worst case, send in a support message to Wineskin support. I'll get the message and I'll help you out via email.
http://wineskin.doh123.com/tiki-index.php?page=Support
bat394
Level 1
Level 1

Ok

Post by bat394 »

Sounds good, I'll see if we can talk on STO. If I can't get anything to work, I email you on wineskin. Thanks