Installation error Macbook pro

Questions about Wine on macOS.
gbeekman

Post by gbeekman »

Hi...Frustrated!! I have been trying to install via the directions on
http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Building

I am trying to install with "minimum fuss" I am using a macbook pro with Jaguar 10.5.8, xcode 3.1 and quartz x11.

Downloads and configures fine, but when I "make" It ends with the following

x11drv_main.c: In function ‘process_attach’:
x11drv_main.c:527: error: ‘SONAME_LIBX11’ undeclared (first use in this function)
x11drv_main.c:527: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
x11drv_main.c:527: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [x11drv_main.o] Error 1
make: *** [dlls/winex11.drv] Error 2

I have seen something about needing to direct to the library files, but have not succeeded in figuring out how...any one that can help?

Gerry
rwoodsmall
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rwoodsmall »

I'd recommend making sure Xquartz is installed:

http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

And getting the latest greatest Xcode for Leopard/10.5 should get you a bit farther. The last 10.5-compatible version was Xcode 3.1.4, I believe. You can get it for free with an Apple developer account at:

http://connect.apple.com

I bundle a bunch of OS X prereqs up in my build script. Note that there are some issues on 10.5 though, and I haven't had spare cycles to look into them; 10.6 works like a champ (it's what I use), and I think 10.7 should work as well, as long as the Xcode 3.2 from Snow Leopard is used. No idea on Xcode 4 or 4.1 on Lion.

http://code.google.com/p/osxwinebuilder/

The 10.6/Snow Leopard update is $29, likely cheaper from retailers other than Apple now that Lion is out, and it's a good deal more stable and supported than 10.5. -r
rwoodsmall
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rwoodsmall »

... and then I realized I didn't answer your question. You can specify library and include locations with something like this:

Code: Select all

export CFLAGS="-arch i386 -m32"
export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/X11/include"
export LDFLAGS="-framework CoreServices -lz -L/usr/X11/lib -lGL -lGLU"
./configure
make
The CFLAGS environment variable specifies to the compiler to output 32-bit binaries.
The CPPFLAGS environment variable tells the preprocessor to look for include files.
The LDFLAGS environment variable tells the linker where to look for libraries (and a few frameworks/libraries to which it should link).

Once Wine is compiled, you can run it from the source directory, but you'll need to tell the dynamic linker where to find some libraries:

export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/X11/lib"
./wine
ischou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ischou »

rwoodsmall wrote:

export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/X11/include"
export LDFLAGS="-framework CoreServices -lz -L/usr/X11/lib -lGL -lGLU"
./configure
make
Make sure your build is actually pointed to the right installation of X11. Since XQuartz is the one you want, I think it installs into /opt/X11, so the above should look like:

export CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/X11/include"
export LDFLAGS="-framework CoreServices -lz -L/opt/X11/lib -lGL -lGLU"
./configure
make
Made that mistake myself early on after install XQuartz and pointing my build back at Apple's X11.
ryan woodsmall

Post by ryan woodsmall »

Make sure your build is actually pointed to the right installation of X11. Since XQuartz is the one you want, I think it installs into /opt/X11, so the above should look like:
Xquartz installs into /usr/X11 on Leopard/10.5, replacing the system-provided X. It installs into /opt/X11 on Snow Leopard/10.6. -r
gbeekman

Post by gbeekman »

ok, thanks

now when and where do I add that code.
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

gbeekman wrote:ok, thanks

now when and where do I add that code.
You could do so. However, the Wine project recommends using MacPorts to install Wine or Fink.

Also, (plug intended) rwoodsmall also has an 'all in one' script that builds Wine and retrieves all of the dependencies if you do not want to install MacPorts or Fink. Google osxwinebuilder.

James