Problem to uninstall a program within Wine under Mac OS X 10

Questions about Wine on macOS.
tomtom69

Post by tomtom69 »

Hi,

I got a problem with Google Sketchup Mac so I tried to install the Windows version via Wine. It's installed but doesn't work.
i tried to uninstall it in the 'add/delete programs' section of Wine. At the end I get a message saying that Sketchup has been uninstalled succesfully, but actually nothing changes: Sketchup still appears in the list of programs and no files have been removed from the folder 'Wine Files'

Is there another way to uninstall the program? If I uninstalled Wine, would it also remove that Windows version of Sketchup and solve the problem?

Thanks very much.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

I'm not really following. It doesn't sound like your using normal Wine on Mac OS X... what exactly are you running, as the maker of it might be able to help more.

Depending on the first answer... will change what the second answer is, but usually wine installs everything by default to a hidden folder in your home folder... ~/.wine

open Terminal and type

open ~/.wine

to quickly see this hidden folder in Finder.
tomtom69

Post by tomtom69 »

Thanks for your reply doh123.

Indeed I probably don't use normal Wine. I tried to type your code and the reply was: '.wine does not exist'

Actually I downloaded an application called WineBottler http://winebottler.kronenberg.org Instead of a hidden folder I just have a normal folder called 'Wine Files' in which I can find the Windows arborescence. I tried to remove the sketchup folder from that but apparently it doesn't desinstall it, so I put in back there at the moment.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

tomtom69 wrote: Actually I downloaded an application called WineBottler http://winebottler.kronenberg.org
Third party apps are not supported here. This forum is for plain Wine only.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

WineBottler and other Third Party apps cannot be supported here because they are just too different than plain Wine.

Wine Third Party Apps

WineBottler has many issues, mainly because it has not been updated in a loooong time, and I'm not sure the developer even works on it anymore, so it might be a dead project.

Normal Wine on Mac OS X, is build yourself and command line usage. You can do this easier with Macports, so it does the building for you. There is also a builder script that helps too

If you want a more GUI usage... I'd suggest Wineskin (though I'm biased since thats my project) or Crossover (made for user friendliness and good support, but its not free)... but those have their own support channels also, and are not supported here.
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 5:37 AM, doh123 <[email protected]> wrote:
WineBottler and other Third Party apps cannot be supported here because they are just too different than plain Wine.

Wine Third Party Apps (http://wiki.winehq.org/ThirdPartyApplications)

WineBottler has many issues, mainly because it has not been updated in a loooong time, and I'm not sure the developer
even works on it anymore, so it might be a dead project.
My attempts to contact Mike have been for naught. I'm considering
this a 'dead' and abandoned project. Don't know why there has been
very little or no activity on his web site either going on three
months.
Normal Wine on Mac OS X, is build yourself and command line usage.  You can do this easier with Macports, so it does
the building for you.  There is also a builder script that helps too.
Ryan has an osxwinebuilder script (Google for it) that builds all of
the dependencies, Wine and a few other nice to have accessories.
If you want a more GUI usage... I'd suggest Wineskin (though I'm biased since thats my project) or Crossover (made for
user friendliness and good support, but its not free)... but those have their own support channels also, and are not supported
here.
Good ideas for those who are new to the Mac and Wine.

James