Installing Wine on a MacBook?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Jonzjob

Post by Jonzjob »

I have only just found out about Wine and I an trying to instal it on my MacBook Pro 13 running OX10.6. When I get to the download page and hit the download button I'm taken to a screen with numerous choices, but I can't find anything tht mentions OX10?

Can anyone let me know where I'm going wrong please?
jjmckenzie

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Jonzjob <[email protected]> wrote:
I have only just found out about Wine and I an trying to instal it on my MacBook Pro 13 running OX10.6. When I get to the
download page and hit the download button I'm taken to a screen with numerous choices, but I can't find anything that
mentions OX10?
Because there are no 'official' MacOSX builds.

If you want the easy way to build and assemble a Wine build for
MacOSX, Google osxwinebuilder (plug for Ryan). This is a project that
retrieves and builds all of the dependencies (and then some) and then
builds Wine. You must do this as a System Administrator.

If you do not want to build Wine yourself, look for WineSkin.

Both of these products were created by and maintained by Wine users.

James
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

Wine on Mac OS X right now is compile yourself and run all command line.

You can do that yourself from source using the osxwinebuilder script, or using a tool like Macports or Fink which have Wine available.

There are several 3rd party tools available that use Wine as well... that take away the need to compile anything, or use the command line.
http://wiki.winehq.org/ThirdPartyApplications

Crossover is probably the overall best 'not-free' way that is (relatively) easy to use. They do have a free trial, and they also employee many people who work on Wine making it better for everyone.

Wineskin is my own creation... I try to make it simple, and its geared toward actually turning a Windows app into a Mac OS X app, fully self contained and portable from computer to computer.
williamchen

Post by williamchen »

Hi guys,

thanks for the somewhat "crash course" step in installing wine on a macbook. I am using a macbook pro and I would like to install wine on it. i am pretty confident I could get it to work.

I have tried crossover, using only the free trial but was not able to get it working. which is why after the trial period, i did not buy the software.

Thanks guys.