Bully works on mac?!

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Raffhell
Level 2
Level 2

Bully works on mac?!

Post by Raffhell »

I mean this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RySQjPJvcQ

Works in Wineskin (a gui for [dar]wine, I suppose), so why is still garbage in wine? Maybe I miss to know something, or it uses modified engine. There, the gameplay seems to be perfect...
jjmckenzie

Bully works on mac?!

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:06 AM, Raffhell <[email protected]> wrote:
I mean this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RySQjPJvcQ

Works in Wineskin (a gui for [dar]wine, I suppose),
Wineskin is a third party application and the Wine project CANNOT use
any results gained by using it. However, the maintainer of Wineskin
is a frequent contributor to this list and may be able to add more on
how he got the game to work on his product and maybe update the
Applications Database with an updated how-to.

If the game has a demo/trial produced by its authors, then please post
the URL for it here. Please DO NOT post any third party distributors
or any other links for this program.

Thank you.

James McKenzie
Raffhell
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Bully works on mac?!

Post by Raffhell »

jjmckenzie wrote:the Wine project CANNOT use any results gained by using it. However, the maintainer of Wineskin is a frequent contributor to this list and may be able to add more on how he got the game to work on his product and maybe update the Applications Database with an updated how-to.
It looks like strange to me, only this... I hope he adds it soon, then :)
However seems the cause is a problem with directx/pixel shader...
jjmckenzie wrote:If the game has a demo/trial produced by its authors, then please post the URL for it here.
No demo available =(
jjmckenzie wrote: Please DO NOT post any third party distributors
or any other links for this program.
I won't do :)
jjmckenzie

Bully works on mac?!

Post by jjmckenzie »

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Raffhell <[email protected]> wrote:
jjmckenzie wrote:
the Wine project CANNOT use any results gained by using it.  However, the maintainer of Wineskin is a frequent contributor to this list and may
be able to add more on how he got the game to work on his product and maybe update the Applications Database with an updated how-to.
It looks like strange to me, only this... I hope he adds it soon, then :)
However seems the cause is a problem with directx/pixel shader...
I don't doubt that the Wineskin maintainer has done something to make
it work outside of Wine.
If the game has a demo/trial produced by its authors, then please post the URL for it here.
No demo available =(
:( :( I don't want to buy a program that I won't use for more than testing.

James McKenzie
DaVince
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Bully works on mac?!

Post by DaVince »

Raffhell wrote:I mean this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RySQjPJvcQ

Works in Wineskin (a gui for [dar]wine, I suppose), so why is still garbage in wine? Maybe I miss to know something, or it uses modified engine. There, the gameplay seems to be perfect...
Does the game actually work for you? Then you can submit a test report so it's not "garbage" anymore on the appDB.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

Wineskin is a tool for anyone to use... it supports building your own Wineskin Engines (Wine, X11, and other supporting libraries) from Wine source code. While standard engines use completely unmodified Wine source... whoever has made that Bully wrapper may have customized Wine source and made a special engine for it. You'd have to contact whoever made the wrapper, and see if they used a stock Wine build or not... its not something I'd have any knowledge of. I simply try to make Wineskin a good tool with tons of customization options to get programs working.
Raffhell
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Raffhell »

doh123 wrote:I simply try to make Wineskin a good tool with tons of customization options to get programs working.
It seems to be another cool project... I hope there was for linux too...
So, basically, the bully wrapper could be an hard patched wine? :|
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

Raffhell wrote:
doh123 wrote:I simply try to make Wineskin a good tool with tons of customization options to get programs working.
It seems to be another cool project... I hope there was for linux too...
So, basically, the bully wrapper could be an hard patched wine? :|
Mac OS X has "bundles" which are different to most other OSes. When you look in Finder and see something like MyProgram.app which you double click to run, its not really a file like it looks like, but a folder... it will have a structure inside. Wineskin uses this to make app bundles like this tha are real mac apps, with all the libraries (Wine, X11 and such) all inside the app as well, including the wineprefix and everything needed. Its also all done in ObjC/Cocoa.

If I tried to make a version for Linux, it would be a major re-write, and it wouldn't be very worthwhile, as it doesn't use bundles. It would just be an executable file for launching along with a folder with all the Wine contents and a folder for the prefix... it wouldn't be like a single "application" as much, but its entirely possible for anyone to do that... and make Wine portable with executables to run everything... Linux already runs X11, so it would have no control over that either like Wineskin does... it would just be a start up program/script along with Wine, just made moveable, which is already easy enough to do. I haven't seen a need to worry about making a Linux version... since Wine is already focused for Linux anyways.

From what I read where people use, and the guy who made the Bully wrapper... no i don't think its a special Wine build, I think its standard Wine 1.2.2.