Trying to load MIRC with Wine on a Mac

Questions about Wine on macOS.
tigerperson

Post by tigerperson »

This is driving me crazy. I have wine downloaded on my MAC. It's in my application folder. I have MIRC downloaded and it's also in my Application folder. But, when I turn off MIRC, and turn it back on, the whole thing wants to reload. Very annoying since that means it's not saving settings. Any ideas?
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Trying to load MIRC with Wine on a Mac

Post by doh123 »

tigerperson wrote:This is driving me crazy. I have wine downloaded on my MAC. It's in my application folder. I have MIRC downloaded and it's also in my Application folder. But, when I turn off MIRC, and turn it back on, the whole thing wants to reload. Very annoying since that means it's not saving settings. Any ideas?
Your not using plain Wine if its in your Applications folder.. your using something else that has its own support channels, and isn't supported here.

You may need to check the AppDB to see if there is anything special you need to do to get mIRC to run
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ion&iId=77
Charles Davis

Post by Charles Davis »

On 3/9/11 3:24 PM, tigerperson wrote:
This is driving me crazy. I have wine downloaded on my MAC. It's in my application folder. I have MIRC downloaded and it's also in my Application folder. But, when I turn off MIRC, and turn it back on, the whole thing wants to reload. Very annoying since that means it's not saving settings. Any ideas?
Why are you trying to run mIRC at all?

There are plenty of IRC clients that run natively on Mac OS X. One of
those is Colloquy (http://colloquy.info/). That's what I use.

In general around here, if there's a native program available that does
what you want, we tend to suggest it instead of running Wine. It's much
easier that way. Trust me.

Chip
tigerperson

Post by tigerperson »

Charles Davis wrote:On 3/9/11 3:24 PM, tigerperson wrote:

In general around here, if there's a native program available that does
what you want, we tend to suggest it instead of running Wine. It's much
easier that way. Trust me.

Chip
Thanks Chip. The thing is, I'm familiar with Mirc and work on a mirc help channel and most people looking for help are using mirc. I've tried Colloquy, it's on my phone, but I think there are lots more options on mirc.
tigerperson

Post by tigerperson »

doh123 wrote:
tigerperson wrote:This is driving me crazy. I have wine downloaded on my MAC. It's in my application folder. I have MIRC downloaded and it's also in my Application folder. But, when I turn off MIRC, and turn it back on, the whole thing wants to reload. Very annoying since that means it's not saving settings. Any ideas?
Your not using plain Wine if its in your Applications folder.. your using something else that has its own support channels, and isn't supported here.

You may need to check the AppDB to see if there is anything special you need to do to get mIRC to run
I admit to being confused about the whole thing. i know when I open the file in my application file, (Mirc.exe in winebottler) it opens another program, X11. I'll check out the site you suggested. The whole thing has me perplexed since I'm new to Mac's. Thanks for your input.
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

On 3/9/11 7:42 PM, tigerperson wrote:
doh123 wrote:
tigerperson wrote:

I admit to being confused about the whole thing. i know when I open the file in my application file, (Mirc.exe in winebottler) it opens another program, X11. I'll check out the site you suggested. The whole thing has me perplexed since I'm new to Mac's. Thanks for your input.
First, for WineBottler help you are going to have to contact Mike.
Second, Wine is a UNIX program and uses the X11 program for displaying
information. Yes, there is a project to move Wine to the MacOSX native
interface, but it appears to be stalled right now.

James McKenzie
(Another Wine on Mac User)
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

On 3/9/11 5:43 PM, Charles Davis wrote:
On 3/9/11 3:24 PM, tigerperson wrote:

I was going to recommend the same thing. Since you are using a Windows
program to replace a native program, you can search the Applications
database, but don't expect many people to be using mIRC with Wine.

There are better native programs for Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD and MacOSX.

James McKenzie
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

tigerperson wrote:
doh123 wrote:

Normal Wine on Macs is compiled in Terminal, or done for you with Fink or Macports, but still compiled from source, then all ran command line. You are probably using WineBottler's Wine.app which is a 3rd party app.
http://wiki.winehq.org/ThirdPartyApplications

X11.app or XQuartz is required on Macs for Wine because Wine is made for X11... all other OSes that Wine runs on use X11 is their main windowing interface... Macs don't.

Just for the heck of it, I made a quick Wineskin wrapper (WS7Wine1.2.2 engine) for mIRC and put 7.19 in it and it seems to work just fine, and remembers info from what I had last time it ran... so it should be possible... but Wineskin has its own X11 built in much like Crossover has their own built in.
tigerperson

Post by tigerperson »

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm really a newbie when it comes to wine/wine bottler/mac, etc. So thanks for being patient! I might have questions since it's still not working for me. Thanks in advance