Bundle Wine with Windows App in Mac OS

Questions about Wine on macOS.
robert.deklerk

Bundle Wine with Windows App in Mac OS

Post by robert.deklerk »

Hi There,

Is it possible to somehow make an installer that installer Wine for Mac and then automatically installs the windows package into Wine.

Thanks

Robert
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

your going to have to be a bit more clear... I don't fully understand.

There are several 3rd party apps for Mac OS X that might be what your looking for.

http://wiki.winehq.org/ThirdPartyApplications
robert.deklerk

Post by robert.deklerk »

I have an Executable (Setup File) that is made for Windows, but I would like to run the application in OS X and be able to redistribute it.

So basically have a package in OS that when run installs my application with Wine so that after the application is installed, it can be run.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

robert.deklerk wrote:I have an Executable (Setup File) that is made for Windows, but I would like to run the application in OS X and be able to redistribute it.

So basically have a package in OS that when run installs my application with Wine so that after the application is installed, it can be run.
Thats the primary goal of Wineskin (which is my own project). Working on a few things to finish up a release candidate for 2.0, but the current 2.0 beta is working rather good as is.
ahso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ahso »

same as winebottler:

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

why complicate stuff? simply providing a current wine binary would be more useful.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

ahso wrote:same as winebottler
not nearly in the same way.. being stuck running through X11.app leads to several limitations, though with Xquartz 2.6.0 out now a lot of that is diminished. You don't have to worry about X11 with Wineskin, or what someone has installed on their machine when you move it around, it just moves and works because, like Crossover, X11 is all built in.
ahso wrote: why complicate stuff? simply providing a current wine binary would be more useful.
There are several limitations in Wine to how it would run on OSX. Right now, making a binary would be easy, but there is no GUI support at all, and it will would be completely command line. With Wineskin you can get the latest versions to use downloaded and ready to go with a click of a couple buttons in Wineskin Winery, or even download and patch up Wine source code and have it build a version to use from source.... no need to wait on official releases, but you can. This makes it great for customizing and getting an app working how you want, and have a finished .app that can easily move from computer to computer and work fine.
ahso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ahso »

doh123 wrote:no GUI support at all, and it will would be completely command line. With Wineskin you can get the latest
winebottler you can simply move to apps. It will start *.exe with a simple click...Nothing more easy...and yes it's a wine binary, although already old.