"running wineinstall as root" error - Mac OS X

Questions about Wine on macOS.
SonicLover

"running wineinstall as root" error - Mac OS X

Post by SonicLover »

I run Mac OS X 10.6.5. There are a bunch of Windows programs I would very much like to run, and my latest OS update broke my copy of CrossOver Games, so I decided to get Wine.

None of the ten binary download packages on the download page said Mac anywhere on them, so I decided I would have to download the source code and run from the command line. I don't like this, since I'm not extremely tech savvy; I don't know half of what I can probably do from the command line.

The readme file says:
Whenever you compile from source, it is recommended to use the Wine
Installer to build and install Wine. From the top-level directory
of the Wine source (which contains this file), run:

./tools/wineinstall
So I type:
cd /Users/hill/Desktop/Warehouse/wine-1.2.2
This works (I confirm it with an ls call). Then this exchange occurs:
Macintosh-265:wine-1.2.2 hill$ ./tools/wineinstall
Wine Installer v1.0

You are running wineinstall as root, this is not advisable. Please rerun as a user.
Aborting.
I did exactly as I was told and I hit a wall! I have no idea what to do at this point. I used Google to look for the error message I got, but couldn't make heads or tails of any of the results.

Any assistance would be highly appreciated... I have hardly any idea what I'm doing.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

if you try to build from source, you are going to be missing many things you'll have to get installed first...

If you want standard default command line only Wine, I'd really recommend using Macports, as it can do an install and take care of everything you need automatically.

you may also want to use a different 3rd party tool to use Wine on OSX since there is no official binary for it. There is one thats a script to help you get dependencies to build Wine right.

http://wiki.winehq.org/ThirdPartyApplications

but to your main problem, Wine installer shouldn't think you are root, unless you enabled the root user and used su to su in as root... or ran the installer using sudo.
SonicLover

Post by SonicLover »

Thanks for the feedback... I deleted the source code download and am installing PlayOnMac right now. (It's taking a while to install XQuartz, hmmm...)

I'll report back if things go wrong again.