Joystick functionality in Wine for Mac OS

Questions about Wine on macOS.
crazy_dave
Level 2
Level 2

Joystick functionality in Wine for Mac OS

Post by crazy_dave »

I need help getting my joystick functioning for Wine in Mac OS X. I am using Wineskin with Wine version 1.3.9 and Mac OS 10.6.5. The joystick is functional and my Mac reads it fine. I've tried editing the regedit keys by creating a DirectInput key with the string "Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D" = "X,Y,Rz,Slider1,POV1,POV2". However, that did nothing. I also tried putting the dinput8 and dinput into the DllOverrides with Windows config and tried various options there (but by no means exhaustive).

Again, nothing happened. I've also tried various names for my joystick - for instance "Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D" vs "Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D Pro". For some reason the command: "WINEDEBUG=+dinput wine game.exe 2>&1" doesn't work in my terminal - it just says command wine not found. Trying to go into my local folder and using ./wineskin.app or wineskin.app in the command does nothing either. So maybe my name is wrong, but my computer recognizes the joystick as "Logitech Extreme 3D".

I've tried this for two games: Red Baron 3D and IL-2 Sturmovik and neither recognizes my joystick. The games work perfectly other than that. Has anybody gotten a joystick to work under WINE for OS X?

If you have a fix, please let me know. I feel really close to getting my flight sims to work, but I'd really like to play them with my joystick.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Joystick functionality in Wine for Mac OS

Post by doh123 »

crazy_dave wrote: Again, nothing happened. I've also tried various names for my joystick - for instance "Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D" vs "Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D Pro". For some reason the command: "WINEDEBUG=+dinput wine game.exe 2>&1" doesn't work in my terminal - it just says command wine not found.
I still need to add in a way to choose debug channels on running... right now there is no way to run it. The wine command wont work on the command line because you don't have Wine installed anywhere in the path. If you want to run the Wine build in Wineskin via command line, you'd have to run it directly in X11.app or Xquartz.app xterm. You'd have to add the Wine bin folder thats in the WineskinEngine.bundle to the PATH, then you could use it... its not terribly easy.

If you want to do tests that are viable for support here, you really need to just install Wine and run it yourself and not use Wineskin. Thats really easiest to do with Macports, and everything will run through X11.app or Xquartz.app... all controlled command line.
crazy_dave
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Joystick functionality in Wine for Mac OS

Post by crazy_dave »

doh123 wrote:
crazy_dave wrote: Again, nothing happened. I've also tried various names for my joystick - for instance "Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D" vs "Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D Pro". For some reason the command: "WINEDEBUG=+dinput wine game.exe 2>&1" doesn't work in my terminal - it just says command wine not found.
I still need to add in a way to choose debug channels on running... right now there is no way to run it. The wine command wont work on the command line because you don't have Wine installed anywhere in the path. If you want to run the Wine build in Wineskin via command line, you'd have to run it directly in X11.app or Xquartz.app xterm. You'd have to add the Wine bin folder thats in the WineskinEngine.bundle to the PATH, then you could use it... its not terribly easy.

If you want to do tests that are viable for support here, you really need to just install Wine and run it yourself and not use Wineskin. Thats really easiest to do with Macports, and everything will run through X11.app or Xquartz.app... all controlled command line.
That makes sense. I actually figured I might have to install Wine to get access to those tests, but I'm not sure if it's worth it simply for the name of the joystick - I don't think that's my problem. (btw I made a duplicate post in the porting team website) However, it might be nice to know if Wine on OS X is capable of seeing a joystick at all.

Ah well ... any takers on the main problem of joysticks working in Mac OS X?

Anybody?

Anybody?

Bueller? :)
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18424

above link is a bug entry on joysticks... but I don't know if there is anyone with the both the knowledge of how to get them working right, and any care to actually try.... heck Wine announcment claimed in 1.1.17 that Joystick support in OSX was one of the new main features... yet I never could get it to work and as of yet I still haven't found a single person who claims to have gotten a joystick to work.