Wine is used WORDsearch mac but doesn't work in Linux?

Questions about Wine on Linux
vallesrobertson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vallesrobertson »

WORDsearch 8 Bible is a program for Windows and the publishers have made it available for mac users - on the website it says this is made possible through Wine. So the mac users are opening the same program as the Windows users, but Wine is what makes it available. Hoewever, I have Ububtu 8.04 (Linux) and I am brand new (switched from Windows) to Linux. I would like to have WORDsearch but Wine won't run it on Linux. Why is that? Is this going to be available on the new version of Wine when it comes out to download (and what time frame would that be)? I can't understand the source download and git trees How would I use the source download to get the latest Wine? Or am I the problem in running the current Wine? Am I doing something wrong? Should this be running fine but I'm messing up somewhere? I wanted to put this on the Bugzilla but I am so new to this I don't know how to do that right. Basically, The program opens to its main screen to choose "enter library", "daily reading", "search for books" or something like that - anyway I can click all day long on those options and never go anywhere, and if I click on the bottom of that screen to look for online updates it kicks me off. I would appreciate any possible help. Thank You
James McKenzie

Post by James McKenzie »

vallesrobertson wrote:
WORDsearch 8 Bible is a program for Windows and the publishers have made it available for mac users - on the website it says this is made possible through Wine.
This is a first. A program that will run on Wine on a Mac, but not on
Linux.
So the mac users are opening the same program as the Windows users, but Wine is what makes it available. However, I have Ububtu 8.04 (Linux) and I am brand new >(switched from Windows) to Linux. I would like to have WORDsearch but Wine won't run it on Linux. Why is that? Is this going to be available on the new version of >Wine when it comes out to download (and what time frame would that be)? I can't understand the source download and git trees How would I use the source download >to get the latest Wine? Or am I the problem in running the current Wine? Am I doing something wrong? Should this be running fine but I'm messing up somewhere? I >wanted to put this on the Bugzilla but I am so new to this I don't know how to do that right. Basically, The program opens to its main screen to choose "enter >library", "daily reading", "search for books" or something like that - anyway I can click all day long on those options and never go anywhere, and if I click on >the bottom of that screen to look for online updates it kicks me off. I would appreciate any possible help. Thank You

So, let's gather some information.

1. What are the results of attempting to run the program from the
command line (terminal)?

Also what Wine version are you trying to use?

Thank you.

James McKenzie
vallesrobertson
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine is used WORDsearch mac but doesn't work in Linux?

James McKenzie wrote: So, let's gather some information.

1. What are the results of attempting to run the program from the
command line (terminal)?

Also what Wine version are you trying to use?

Thank you.

James McKenzie
How would I try and run the program from the terminal?

I don't know what version of Wine I am using; I did install it from the terminal according to the instructions on Winehq download page
vallesrobertson
Level 2
Level 2

James McKenzie wrote: Also what Wine version are you trying to use?
I forgot to mention I have Ubuntu 8.04 and the instructions I followed were for Ubuntu 8.04
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

vallesrobertson wrote: How would I try and run the program from the terminal?

I don't know what version of Wine I am using; I did install it from the terminal according to the instructions on Winehq download page
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-3b297df ... b8edc21619

Find out your wine version by typing

Code: Select all

wine --version 
in the terminal.

And just to be clear: you are trying to run the Windows version of this app, not the app packaged with Wine that they're calling the Mac version. Right?
vallesrobertson
Level 2
Level 2

dimesio wrote:
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-3b297df ... b8edc21619

Find out your wine version by typing

Code: Select all

wine --version 
in the terminal.

And just to be clear: you are trying to run the Windows version of this app, not the app packaged with Wine that they're calling the Mac version. Right?
yes I am trying to run the windows program, i have wine 1.1.30
occhigrigi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by occhigrigi »

From the software site:

WORDsearch Mac Minimum System Requirements
Leopard OS X 10.5
Intel Macs Only
(Not compatible with G4 or G5 processors)
512MB Memory
DVD Drive
200mb Free Space on Hard Drive

They don't mention wine as a requirement. I think they bundle some wine version with their software, like google with Picasa for Linux.
vallesrobertson
Level 2
Level 2

occhigrigi wrote:From the software site:

WORDsearch Mac Minimum System Requirements
Leopard OS X 10.5
Intel Macs Only
(Not compatible with G4 or G5 processors)
512MB Memory
DVD Drive
200mb Free Space on Hard Drive

They don't mention wine as a requirement. I think they bundle some wine version with their software, like google with Picasa for Linux.
but is there a way to use wine to run WORDsearch through wine on Linux (ubuntu 8.04)
vallesrobertson
Level 2
Level 2

I can't figure out how to run it from terminal - the link to the instructions seems to be confusing to me
vallesrobertson
Level 2
Level 2

the installation works, it downloads the program (it even has the icons correct) and when I double click to open, it brings up their home screen, but it doesn't allow me to anter anything from there, if I click the link to check online updates it exits me saying there was a problem (missing resources)
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

I havent bought WORDsearch 8... but I downloaded the free Bible Explorer for Mac from them that also runs on Wine.

Their Wine download on their website, I'm assuming is what they used in making this, is a pre-1.0 Wine... nothing current.. wine-0.9.58.07.zip is their download...

I looked inside their Mac app and it has Darwine inside of it... version 0.9.58 comes back with a wine --version check...

the whole thing is pretty pitiful looking inside.. not made real well, like someone new to making Mac apps...

but anyways, you might have to try a really old Wine version to get it working, or download their version they link to on their website.
vallesrobertson
Level 2
Level 2

doh123 wrote:I havent bought WORDsearch 8... but I downloaded the free Bible Explorer for Mac from them that also runs on Wine.

Their Wine download on their website, I'm assuming is what they used in making this, is a pre-1.0 Wine... nothing current.. wine-0.9.58.07.zip is their download...

I looked inside their Mac app and it has Darwine inside of it... version 0.9.58 comes back with a wine --version check...

the whole thing is pretty pitiful looking inside.. not made real well, like someone new to making Mac apps...

but anyways, you might have to try a really old Wine version to get it working, or download their version they link to on their website.
well that may be the issue, I have wine 1.1.30 and if it needs 0.9.58 to work, then that is the problem. I would like to first ask is Darwine the wine for macs or is it an additional program I need on my Ubuntu? Also I went to sourceforge to get wine 0.9.58.07 and I did find it but when I downloaded it, my archive manager just gave me a file that needed extracting, which when I did I just got a bunch of files - how do I install the wine 0.9.58? I also saw on winehq that the problem is called a regression and it can be fixed using git?! I tried reading the how to fix the regression and it is beyond me. Would it be better to find out how to get the older wine (0.9.58) and change my wine, or would it be better to find out how to find the regression problem and get a fix/patch to allow my program to run in wine 1.1.30? Thank you guys so much! I appreciate all this help because I am so new to Linux (Ubuntu) and this is one of the most important programs to me.
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

Darwine is a type of unofficial Wine build for OSX... its basically dead, and nothing you'd need.

you may not need that exact version... but maybe try some older ones.

I haven't messed with Wine on Linux in so long I'm not the best to tell you how to get an older version on there... I prefer having many versions of Wine available and not just 1 single version installed on the machine like how default Wine works.

fixing a regression is actually fixing the source code, normal bug fixes that would be in the next (or upcoming) version... its something more for the developer to do, but you can help by filing a bug report and give the indicated information and tests they want... then hopefully someone can fix it for the future.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You can find old binary packages in the Ubuntu package archives: http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html
vallesrobertson
Level 2
Level 2

I found wine source for wine 0.9.58 on source forge; how do I install wine using this?
vallesrobertson
Level 2
Level 2

I ask about installing wine using the source because on the binary packages link in the previous post for ubuntu 8.04 it only goes down to 0.9.60 and I would like to get 0.9.58 - if i use the binary package for 0.9.58 from an older ubuntu will it still work (this would be the easiest way)
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

vallesrobertson wrote:I found wine source for wine 0.9.58 on source forge; how do I install wine using this?
http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guid ... ine-source
For 32 bit systems: http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages
For 64 bit systems: http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit
emichaelj

WordSearch 8

Post by emichaelj »

I am a long time user of WordSearch and was a field tester in the DOS days. I have not yet tried to run WordSearch 8 on WINE but I noted you said you downloaded the free version Bible Explorer. My understanding is that Bible Explorer is based on version 7 of the WordSearch program and you need to use WordSearch 8 to attempt the WINE emulation.
lwalper

Post by lwalper »

I've been using WS7 in XP and have now tried to install on Ubuntu 10.04 running Wine 1.1.42. The installation from the command line seemed to go without any problems, but when I tried to open the program I get a OLE error 80070057 and the program halts - don't even get an an intro screen. I've been tempted to upgrade to WS9. Maybe it will run in Wine??
skypeace

Wordsearch 9

Post by skypeace »

lwalper wrote:I've been using WS7 in XP and have now tried to install on Ubuntu 10.04 running Wine 1.1.42. The installation from the command line seemed to go without any problems, but when I tried to open the program I get a OLE error 80070057 and the program halts - don't even get an an intro screen. I've been tempted to upgrade to WS9. Maybe it will run in Wine??
Tried WordSearch 7,8, and 9 with Wine all no go. Installed some showed entrance Splash but would not allow entrance. This was on Mint 9 and 10, 9 was 32 bit and 10 was 64 bit.