Applying a git patch??

Questions about Wine on Linux
msetzerii
Level 2
Level 2

Applying a git patch??

Post by msetzerii »

Have a bug that with 7.13 and 7.14 with the scroll bar, that seems to have been fixed in git.
Seems to just be a modification to scroll.c, which is in user32 directory.

Downloaded the source to 7.14 and made change to scroll.c and did configure and make.
I creates an user32.dll, but only one??
On my system I have two user32.dll
6506810 Jul 30 18:23 system32/user32.dll
5693835 Jul 30 18:23 syswow64/user32.dll

The one created is exactly the same size as the syswow64 version, but is about 2M bytes different.
But since my app is 32 bit, I need the system32 version?

Problem is that mouse buttons don't work on most scroll bars, but scroll wheel does, but was very slow. Used imwheel to get it to a reasonable speed.
Was hoping for a quick solution.
Have winehq-devel-7.14-1.1.x86_64 installed on my Fedora 35 machines, and except for the scoll bar not working it is fine.
Had Fedora version of wine before, and it worked fine to version 7.10, but they 7.12 version broke something that ended with me getting a spinning icon, and no response with Xwindows or Wine. icon moves with mouse, but nothing else. Had to switch to a Terminal window with Ctrl-Alt-F4 and then kill Xorg or reboot. Killing program or wine does nothing to get things working. Installed the winehq-7.13 and it didn't have that problem with same exact setup. 7.14 also didn't have problem, but seems the scrollbar issue came up in 7.13 of winehq, was working in 7.12.

Might just have to wait for a version of winehq-devel to come out that includes the patch, and just have to live with it. Might be a simple configure option I'm missing or make option.

Thanks.
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Applying a git patch??

Post by invisible kid »

All that info should be in the patch. If the patch needs to alter 2 files of the same name in different directories, it will alter both. If it just needs to alter one of the files it will alter only the one that needs altering. I usually end up running patch one of two ways:

Code: Select all

patch -Np0 -i ../MPlayer-1.3.0-x264_fix-1.patch

Code: Select all

patch -Np1 -i ../wine-GetTickCount_hack.patch
And sometimes I do them manually going by the info in the patch if you open it with a text editor. But because we copy and paste a lot of code, you have to be very very careful if there are similar areas of code.

Supply a link to the patch itself if you still need help. Good Luck.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Downloaded the source to 7.14 and made change to scroll.c and did configure and make.
I creates an user32.dll, but only one??
If you are going to compile Wine yourself then you need to run configure and make twice. Once for the 64-bit and once for the 32-bit version. (Read the Wiki for more information)
But since my app is 32 bit, I need the system32 version?
Windows has made it confusing. In system32 are the 64 bit components. In syswow64 the 32 bit.
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by invisible kid »

Windows has made it confusing. In system32 are the 64 bit components. In syswow64 the 32 bit.
Thank you! I just happened upon this the other day and thought something went awry, but knew to just let it be. :lol:
msetzerii
Level 2
Level 2

Post by msetzerii »

That sounds backwards? Seen things say that if you make with syswow64 you wont be able to run 32 bit programs??
Guess we've had other weird things like the 8086 being the 16/16 cpu while 8088 was 16/8??
Still don't know why build process wouldn't create both the 32bit and 64bit versions. I believe I did try copying the user32.dll that was created into the system32, but it didn't make a difference. The size of the file was exactly the same size as the one in syswow64..
Guess I'll see if 7.15 comes out soon, and if it includes the patch
Thanks.