Is possible add CUDA support in WINE ?

Questions about Wine on Linux
aug
Level 3
Level 3

Is possible add CUDA support in WINE ?

Post by aug »

Thanks for reading my topic.
Have some softwares with support for CUDA acceleration.
MediaCoder run very well in WINE, but when selecting CUDA acceleration show message not having CUDA acceleration.
Host Ubuntu 20.04.4 has GT 640 nvidia proprietary driver with CUDA running in some softwares.

I see old news about WINE staging version having CUDA support.
WINE development version has support to CUDA ? If yes as to enable it using option or CUDA wrapper ?

Thanks for your reply.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Is possible add CUDA support in WINE ?

Post by jkfloris »

CUDA is currently only available in wine-staging.
If you want, you can add the CUDA patches from staging to wine-devel and build a wine-devel version with CUDA support.
https://github.com/wine-staging/wine-st ... DA_Support
aug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aug »

Thanks for your reply.
I use devel version.
That CUDA support is an wrapper redirecting CUDA access to host CUDA libraries ?
WINE team has plans to add CUDA support to WINE main and developer versions ?
Staging version has all features from main and developer ? Is up to date version with developer ?

Have an nice day.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

From https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=52342#c5
nvcuda works by relaying cuda functions from the nvcuda.dll -> linux libcuda.so, so it depends on your nvidia driver

You can think of Wine-staging as the playground of Wine developers. It contains patches for Wine-devel that are not yet good enough/ready for the real Wine-devel version.
So Wine-staging has a bit more functionality than Wine-devel, but it can also contain bugs that aren't in Wine-devel.
aug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aug »

Thanks very much replying with links. =)
Not demanding or other action ...
I only wait known when CUDA support will be added in devel version because if the date is soon I can wait to only update the devel version avoiding change installed WINE version from devel to staging.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Afaik there is no plans on providing cuda or the other nv* libs with wine-devel any time soon. NVIDIA Library packs (nvcuda, nvapi, nvml++) exist as standalone install that can be used for a wineprefix to provide this, but it is not supported in any way by WineHQ dev team, and is considered "3rd party". (You can google "nvidia-libs github", but there is no support for this on WineHQ forums or bug trackers!)

As to CUDA support for wine in general, it is as mentioned above a wrapper library that relays between wine and linux - however not all functions and cuda calls are supported equally for the Linux version of CUDA (No d3dx calls for instance, as Linux CUDA does not support this at all). In short: There is no complete support for CUDA ref. to windows calls when running wine, but many CUDA apps do work fine.