Can't run RPGMaker games after recovering system from tarballs

Questions about Wine on Linux
apple75
Level 1
Level 1

Can't run RPGMaker games after recovering system from tarballs

Post by apple75 »

Copied from the Gentoo reddit. I am the OP: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gentoo/comment ... ine_after/

I migrated my filesystem from a single drive into two drives, one for my home directory, and the other for everything else (/boot, /, etc.). To do that, I created tarballs of the system and extracted them to the destination drive. I decided to use a script that automates some of that process for me (https://github.com/TheChymera/mkstage4). The result is 3 tarballs: one for /boot, one for /home, and one for /, excluding the past two directories. Migration has been somewhat seamless but I had to edit a few file permissions that were messed up because of the migration.

But now I'm having problems with running RPGMaker VX Ace games through wine. Attempting to start the game crashes on startup with the error "DLL initialisation failed." I have tried clearing my wine prefix, reinstalling, and downgrading, but the problem still persists. Looking up related cases brought me to this bug report viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36547 but this bug was not reproduced in my system.

How else should I approach this problem?

PS: Steps to replicate

1) Execute an RPGMaker VX Ace game e.g. https://rpgmaker.net/content/games/5464 ... eNoRTP.exe
Optional) Install RPGMaker VX Ace RTPs (https://tkool.jp/products/rtp/vxace_rtp100.zip)

Expected: The game will prompt about missing RTPs. If the optional step was performed, the game will execute.
Actual result: The game will crash with the error message above.
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can't run RPGMaker games after recovering system from tarballs

Post by invisible kid »

Just a reg. user here. You referenced install instructions. Are you able to do a new full install? Sometimes that will be the best/only way to get things working again. Then maybe bring over save files or profiles or whatever if you want to try.
apple75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by apple75 »

Update: I don't think it has anything to do with recovering the system from tarballs. I think it has more to do with upgrading the system after recovery. I tried running the game through Proton and it works fine.
invisible kid wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:16 pm Are you able to do a new full install?
I have already done a full reinstall, and the problem always persists between installs. Right now I'm thinking maybe its one of the dependencies that recently updated.
apple75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by apple75 »

I reinstalled wine and all its 400+ dependencies (emerge -e wine) and the problem still occurs.
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by invisible kid »

Are you creating a new prefix each time? If not, do a

Code: Select all

mv ~/.wine ~/.wine-old
or

Code: Select all

rm -rf ~/.wine
if there is nothing you care about in there. Mine are just common usage, your folder names may differ.

If you are still trying with the tarballs, you would need to start a new prefix, then untar them either directly, or in another folder and copy them over, but an entire new install under a brand new prefix is your best bet.

to recap:
1. move or delete ~/.wine
2. run winecfg to set up the new prefix in ~/.wine
3. install or copy the files over and try to run

There are different ways to accomplish the above, like using environment variables to name the prefix folder, and special commands to initialize the wine setup. above is just quick and easy method.

Sorry if you aren't able to get it working.
apple75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by apple75 »

invisible kid wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:35 pm If you are still trying with the tarballs, you would need to start a new prefix, then untar them either directly, or in another folder and copy them over, but an entire new install under a brand new prefix is your best bet.
The tarballs are for recovering my system which is already done.
invisible kid wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:35 pm Are you creating a new prefix each time?
invisible kid wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:35 pm to recap:
1. move or delete ~/.wine
2. run winecfg to set up the new prefix in ~/.wine
3. install or copy the files over and try to run
Pretty much.

I am still trying to fix this, but I don't have a lot of ideas for now. There's always the option of actually running it on Windows, so it hasn't bothered me too much.
Oddly enough, it's only RPGMaker VX/VX Ace games that do not run. Any RPGMaker game older or newer is unaffected.