Installed winehq-devel - have two issues??

Questions about Wine on Linux
msetzerii
Level 2
Level 2

Installed winehq-devel - have two issues??

Post by msetzerii »

Fedora 35 update from wine 7.10 to 7.12 and unfortunately, it broke something.
Primary program I use would stop responding when I opened and email message.
A spinning circle would appear, but nothing would happen. Saw no error, and top and ps -ef showed nothing.
Had to kill program to get back.
did a dnf downgrade wine and it went back to 6.16 rather than 7.10 that had been working.
This did solve issue of it stopping with spinning circle, but was a much older version of wine, and any attempt to upgrade seems to want to jump to the 7.12 version that doesn't work with my app??
So, installed the winehq-devel version, and it seems to install 7.13 version, but it works rather than having the spinning circle when reading email messages, but I have two issues.
1. Scroll bar doesn't work. It shows scroll bars with arrow at top and bottom, but clicking on arrows are trying to slide bar does nothing??
Using the scroll wheel on mouse does shows the scroll bar move up and down like it normally would before with dragging sliding bar?
2. Second issue - before I could run an exe on the command line, and it would open with wine, but now I get error?
/notepad.exe
-bash: ./notepad.exe: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
But this works fine?
[root@setzconote windows]# wine ./notepad.exe

First time I've used the winehq version of wine versus the one from Fedora repo.
Note sure if something is missing or something is left over that conflicts.
Does show some 7.12-2 file??

rpm -qa | grep wine
wine-filesystem-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-tahoma-fonts-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-times-new-roman-fonts-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-wingdings-fonts-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-mono-7.3.0-1.fc35.noarch
wine-webdings-fonts-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-system-fonts-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-symbol-fonts-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-small-fonts-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-ms-sans-serif-fonts-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-marlett-fonts-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-fixedsys-fonts-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-courier-fonts-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-arial-fonts-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-fonts-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-wingdings-fonts-system-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-times-new-roman-fonts-system-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-tahoma-fonts-system-7.12-2.fc35.noarch
wine-devel64-7.13-1.1.x86_64
wine-devel-common-7.13-1.1.i686
winehq-devel-7.13-1.1.x86_64

Thanks.
msetzerii
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Installed winehq-devel - have two issues??

Post by msetzerii »

Did find solution to the 2nd issue. Seems wine-systemd package is what allows running programs from command line without wine option.
Did the install of winehq-devel with the --allowerasing to have it remove the Fedora 7.12 version, but it must have somehow removed the wine-systemd, but did leave some of the 7.12 font rpms.

The scroll bar does work with the Fedora 7.12 version, but the winehq 7.13 version does nothing when clicking on scroll bar arrows for up or down, or when dragging the bar. The scrolling worked using the wheel on mouse, and shows the changes in scroll bar to match. Scrolling was very slow, but found options with imwheel to adjust scroll sensitivity...

So, Fedora wine 7.12 is broken for me with a spinning icon, and no responses but no errors. winehq 7.13 is fine except for scroll bar?? Using XFCE with Fedora...

Thanks.
msetzerii
Level 2
Level 2

Post by msetzerii »

More info on scroll bar issue.
In View window it has 3 scroll bars. Two to not work, but third one does??
Left single panel shows folders scroll wheel works fine, but scroll bar doesn't mouse buttons doesn't
Right side has to panels. Top one has scroll bar work, but not using mouse buttons doesn't.
Bottom one message view of message selected in top panel does work both with scroll wheel and mouse buttons??

A list window that has a single panel with a single scroll bar doesn't have buttons working?

So, not sure why some work and others don't? Recall seeing messages about the scroll wheel not working in cases, and wonder if perhaps a fix for that issue has caused an issue for the button operation of scroll wheel to not work?
msetzerii
Level 2
Level 2

Post by msetzerii »

Note: Problem still exist after update to 7.14