How to add wine installed software to the Open with list?

Questions about Wine on Linux
ineuw
Level 2
Level 2

How to add wine installed software to the Open with list?

Post by ineuw »

I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 with Wine 7.0, and this installation is cursed. The .desktop shortcuts generated by wine don't work, and after days of struggling @jkfloris viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36639&p=137476#p137476 helped me to redefine the contents so that the menu items and their links on the panel work.

I know how to use winecfg, but the installation process had a mind of its own and generated .desktop links with incorrect paths.

I am also unable to add these apps to the 'Open With' context menu list, (or include them in the preferred programs list), which I was able to do with older wine versions.

I edited mimeinfo.cache system wide, and removed the unwanted references, changed the apps in the mimes and re-locked the files.

Locking really means nothing, because Vivaldi browser is very aggressive. On install and subsequent updates, it seems to monitor the mimeinfo.cache files and reconstructs them for its own benefit. It places itself as the only, or the first choice of the mime types, and then re-locks the file.

The only item I managed to list in the Open With, is the "Wine Windows Program Loader". This is a hit or a miss option relying on wine to decide based on the mime type. Examination, of the mime types shows that it looses out to Vivaldi.

I want erase everything and start from the beginning for the third time.

If you have any suggestions, they would be much appreciated.