SanskritPro keyboard .exe fails

Questions about Wine on Linux
catch22

SanskritPro keyboard .exe fails

Post by catch22 »

I want to use a special keyboard with some advanced functions for typing Sanskrit and also its Latin transliterations https://www.sanskritpro.com/download/
This works super on a Windows10-laptop I use solely for this purpose, but I would love to be able to use it on my main desktop LinuxMint 20.3 Cinnamon.
I have the necessary template saved in my LibreOffice and also installed the four .ttf fonts in .local/share/fonts

I'm not a Linux-newbee, but have never used Wine and run into an error when clicking the DevanagariQWERTYPro5.exe file.
It says

Code: Select all

KbdEdit Layout Installer 
cannot enumerate installed layouts
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: SanskritPro keyboard .exe fails

Post by jkfloris »

This program attempts to install a keyboard layout. Wine uses the operating system layout and does not have the ability to change it. The problem is that each operating system has its own keyboard layout mechanism.

You can try to "translate" the OSX layout to Linux. (Unfortunately, I can't find a program for this that does this automatically.) Use 7z to extract the "Devanagari - QWERTY Pro v5.0.dmg" file. The OSX keyboard layout is in "Devanagari - QWERTY Pro v5/Devanagari - QWERTY Pro v5.0.bundle/Contents/Resources/Devanagari - QWERTY Pro v5.0.keylayout". Then you can use /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/in as a starting point for your new layout.

Should this be too much work, Linux has built in the Hindi KaGaPa phonetic layout which is the closest to Devanagari - QWERTY Pro.
catch22

Post by catch22 »

jkfloris wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:43 pm ... as a starting point for your new layout.

Should this be too much work, Linux has built in the Hindi KaGaPa phonetic layout which is the closest to Devanagari - QWERTY Pro.
Thanks for the suggestion, but what would one need to do after that starting point?
Your explanation sounds doable - not too much work at all - but it would leave me clueless concerning the next steps.

I have previously used the Hindi KaGaPa phonetic layout, but it is quite different; Devanagari - QWERTY Pro also has a very advanced layout included for diacritics in the transliteration.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

In /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ are all the available layouts that are available on your system. Since the Indian layout is probably the closest, you can look in that file to see how a layout looks like on Linux and create your own layout..

Custom keyboard layouts are not really a Wine topic, so I can't give you the except steps. For more information on keyboard layouts I must refer you to your favorite search engine.
catch22

Post by catch22 »

okido - thank you for the clarification.