Unable To Uninstall Program [Linux Mint 20.3]

Questions about Wine on Linux
1funeral2many

Unable To Uninstall Program [Linux Mint 20.3]

Post by 1funeral2many »

Forgive me if this subject has already been posted as I am new and I haven't found anything that have helped me.

Did a fresh install of Linux Mint 20.3 on my laptop and installed the current stable version of Wine, both this morning. Also installed all available driver and library updates. Then I used Wine to install Silent Hill 3, which worked initially but I mistakenly installed the program in an unwanted directory. I tried to move the files to the correct one, but as a result the program wouldn't open any more even when I moved the files back to the original install location.

Because of that I tried using Wine's Uninstall menu option to get rid of the damaged program, however that did not work. Then I used the Terminal command "wine uninstall", which booted the program but still did not work even after selecting it from the menu and pressing the "Modify/Remove" button.

After that, I deleted all the files associated with the program, however it still shows up in the start menu under the Wine tab. Attempts to re-install it from the setup.exe don't work either now.

Any help appreciated.
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Unable To Uninstall Program [Linux Mint 20.3]

Post by invisible kid »

Hi, just a user here. Someone might come along with better help but there is a brute force way to start fresh. There will be a folder named ".wine" in your home directory. You can list it by doing this command:

Code: Select all

ls -d ~/.wine
Once you confirm it's there, you can either rename or delete it.
rename:

mv ~/.wine ~/.wine.hold
delete:

rm -rf ~/.wine
After that you do a brand new install.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Unable To Uninstall Program [Linux Mint 20.3]

Post by jkfloris »

I agree with invisible kid.

In addition, I would like to mention that you can remove the incorrect start menu programs from the hidden folder ~/.local/share/applications and/ or ~/.local/share/applications/wine