ALchemy Universal, IndirectSound, OpenAL etc. for surround in older games

Questions about Wine on Linux
mr.matt.eastwood
Level 2
Level 2

ALchemy Universal, IndirectSound, OpenAL etc. for surround in older games

Post by mr.matt.eastwood »

Hello, community,

I've been trying to run Prey (2006) and Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project using surround sound (home theatre AVR hooked to graphics card via HDMI).

I tried installing Creative ALchemy Universal, and I got as far as getting that mfc42 DLL it needed, but then when I try to run it, it says it can't load required components and exits.

IndirectSound lists a couple of requirements on its website:
You will need the Visual Studio 2010 (x86) Redistributable installed
You will need the version of XAudio2 that shipped with the last version of DirectX installed
But I don't know how to get that stuff into Wine. I am aware of Winetricks and I think the key lies in there, but I'm not sure. FWIW, I was delighted to get proper surround sound in the Blake Stone source port, which uses OpenAL.

Does anybody know how to go about this? Has anybody been able to get surround sound in older games using these types of DirectSound3D restoration software?
mr.matt.eastwood
Level 2
Level 2

Re: ALchemy Universal, IndirectSound, OpenAL etc. for surround in older games

Post by mr.matt.eastwood »

Some progress! I found out how to get IndirectSound to work:

* use terminal command "winetricks dsound" to install dsound
* use terminal command "winetricks xact" to install xaudio2
* Install Visual Studio 2010 Runtime from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48217

Then, follow the instructions in IndirectSound's readme.

After installing these, ALchemy Universal also runs, but then says it can't find any supported sound card. Any help with this program would be very much appreciated.