Winetricks directmusic cabextract: Permission denied

Questions about Wine on Linux
Lyxodius

Winetricks directmusic cabextract: Permission denied

Post by Lyxodius »

I'm trying to install the directmusic dlls (dmband.dll etc.) into a wineprefix using winetricks.

I'm getting the following error:

Code: Select all

Executing cabextract -q -d /home/lyxodius/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/compatdata/39510/pfx/dosdevices/c:/windows/syswow64 -L -F dmband.dll /home/lyxodius/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/compatdata/39510/pfx/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/dxnt.cab
/home/lyxodius/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/compatdata/39510/pfx/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/dxnt.cab: WARNING; possible 5960 extra bytes at end of file.
/home/lyxodius/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/compatdata/39510/pfx/dosdevices/c:/windows/syswow64/dmband.dll: Permission denied
------------------------------------------------------
warning: Note: command cabextract -q -d /home/lyxodius/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/compatdata/39510/pfx/dosdevices/c:/windows/syswow64 -L -F dmband.dll /home/lyxodius/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/compatdata/39510/pfx/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/dxnt.cab returned status 1. Aborting.
------------------------------------------------------
What can I do to solve this problem?
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Winetricks directmusic cabextract: Permission denied

Post by invisible kid »

I don't have a precise answer for your exact situation, but can give a bit of info until you get a better response. Usually the two easiest ways to resolve permission issues is to either 1. Change the permissions of the directory that is causing issues or is to be written to. You can check the permissions by doing "ls -ld <dir name>" or from within the directory by "ls -ld ." You can change permissions by "chmod 777 <dir>". 777 is a brute force thing and gives permission to everybody. The second most common way to fix is by running the command as root or using sudo. When issuing commands like this, it uses the permission settings of the root account which can usually write everywhere.

I don't recommend trying any of the above willy-nilly though if you are uncertain. Just wait for a more direct answer to your specific scenario. Good luck!