Direct access to floppy hardware from Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
ehobby4449

Direct access to floppy hardware from Wine

Post by ehobby4449 »

I have a fedora 28, 32-bit linux system running wine 4. I can access both floppy drives (3.5 / 5.25) from Linux after mounting them. Motherboard has real hardware support to real drives. Linux has no trouble working directly with the drives. I am not new to Wine but first time I have needed to have apps read/write to floppy disks.

I would like to get access to the drives from Wine to allow running applications that read, image, write, and format. I have not found a way of setting this up and exhausted searches on the forum (unless there is some keyword I am missing). Docs seem to focus on CDs as removable media. Can Wine actually get access to the hardware for floppy support.

Thanks
cmdl
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Direct access to floppy hardware from Wine

Post by cmdl »

With

Code: Select all

winecfg
-> Drives -> Add, I do see a choice for A and B which should be floppy drives. However, I can’t test that myself since I don’t have a floppy drive. See if that does anything for you.
ehobby4449

Re: Direct access to floppy hardware from Wine

Post by ehobby4449 »

I have used wincfg for some directory mapping to drive letters in the past. I can point a drive at the mount point for a floppy but seem to be only able to read files passing through the mount point, not directly to the hardware. I mapped the drive to the Linux device itself (/dev/fd0) to see what happens. When I use the explorer to access drive A: I see the drive light turn on for about a second then turn off. Nothing seen in explorer. Explorer shows drive C: ok. There are files on the diskettes I tried in the drive and I have tried 720K and 1.4M diskettes. No luck.

Thanks