All attempts to install dotnet via Winetricks fail.

Questions about Wine on Linux
Mugsy323
Level 2
Level 2

All attempts to install dotnet via Winetricks fail.

Post by Mugsy323 »

I am in need of DotNet 4.71. I tried to install it by following the directions found here.

It performs a lot of downloading, and eventually the MS Installer dialog appears. It tries to install, but fails after about a minute without explanation.

Is there an alternative method to obtain & place the necessary files? Anything that goes though a MS installer fails.

TIA.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: All attempts to install dotnet via Winetricks fail.

Post by jkfloris »

Make sure your winetricks is up-to-date:

Code: Select all

sudo winetricks --self-update
Install dotnet with the quiet option:

winetricks -q dotnet471
Should winetricks complain that dotnet is already installed, try the force option as well.

winetricks --force -q dotnet471
Still having problems? Then try a clean wineprefix:

WINEPREFIX=${HOME}/dotnet471 winetricks -q dotnet471
Bamm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bamm »

What version of Wine are you using? Installing dotnet has issues in stable 6.0.x. To install it you may have to use the latest 6.21 or go back to the stable 5.0.x.
Mugsy323
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mugsy323 »

Thx for the reply.

I updated Winetricks but it made no difference. Every time I try to install dotnet471, this is what I get:
Screenshot from 2021-11-16 17-47-50.png
Bamm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bamm »

What version of Wine are you using?

There are many possible reasons for the failure. One is using a build of Wine between 5.18 and 6.6; another could be a faulty download.

Try clearing the cache in /home/mugsy/.cache/winetricks/ and redownloading it using the newer winetricks. It is possible that you are still using installers that were downloaded by the older winetricks.

Furthermore, you did not follow the instructions given by jkfloris.

He told you to run winetricks -q dotnet471 but the fact that you have an installer window in your screenshot proves that you did not use the -q option. He also told you to set a WINEPREFIX but your screenshot says that you were using ~/.wine. If you updated winetricks then you must use a clean cache and a clean prefix.

Here, follow these instructions using copy and paste.

1. wine --version (if between 5.18 and 6.6 then upgrade or downgrade)
2. winetricks --self-update
3. rm -rf /home/mugsy/.cache/winetricks/
4. WINEPREFIX=/home/mugsy/.dotnet471 winetricks -q dotnet471

This should give you a new wine prefix in /home/mugsy/.dotnet471

ALTERNATIVELY, if you do not have any programs installed in ~/.wine and you are sure you are ready for a clean start, then do this instead for step 4.

4. rm -rf /home/mugsy/.wine
5. winetricks -q dotnet471

This should give you a new wine prefix in /home/mugsy/.wine
Mugsy323
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mugsy323 »

Thx for the reply.

Ver: Wine 5.0 (last official release.)

Instead of "winetricks -q dotnet471", I omitted the -q (quiet) switch so I could see what was happening. This should have no effect on whether the command works or not. And the CLI command previously provided to create a new Wine prefix failed. I'll try again after having cleaned the .cache.

I had to add "sudo" before step 2 for permission to run the update. Step 3 executed w/o incident. However, Step 4 always gives me (literally) hundreds of errors similar to this:
Screenshot from 2021-11-17 07-18-23.png
Screenshot from 2021-11-17 07-08-02.png
I don't know how to confirm dotnet actually installed successfully in the end, but programs that require it still don't work (they've stopped crashing on launch, but that's it.)

Any ideas? Thx.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

That there are error messages is normal when installing the .Net framework. The first screenshot indicates that the installation was successful.

exit status 194 - normal, user selected 'restart later'
but programs that require it still don't work
What program do you try to run?
Bamm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bamm »

Mugsy323 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:35 am I don't know how to confirm dotnet actually installed successfully in the end
Type "wine uninstaller" to see the installed programs in your prefix. In my case I can see "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8" because that is what is needed by the application I need. In your case it should be "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2".
Mugsy323
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mugsy323 »

Thx for the reply.

Running the command gives me bunch of errors, and the Uninstaller only shows the defaults:
Screenshot from 2021-11-18 08-01-01.png
Screenshot from 2021-11-18 08-00-14.png
(Note: Except for the lack of DotNet support, most Windows software appears to run fine under Wine.)