Cannot install wine32 on Kubuntu 20.04

Questions about Wine on Linux
lascetic

Cannot install wine32 on Kubuntu 20.04

Post by lascetic »

Hi very new in linux, just been using it the last couple of weeks. I think I may have messed up something. Anyway, I have tried using the instruction here for adding repo and installing wine. This probably messed up my library. I suppose there was some leftover of wine left from previous installation via Software Diskover. I have tried unistalling, purge, reinstalling but I get a lot of unmet dependencies that cannot be installed, as one requires another ad infinitum. I tried several suggestions found on the internet, but as I am very new to this, I may be messing it more.
Here some terminal results when trying to install mp3tag.exe via wine. Please advise.

laptop@laptop-K55VD:~/Downloads$ wine mp3tagv286setup.exe
it looks like wine32 is missing, you should install it.
as root, please execute "apt-get install wine32"
it looks like wine32 is missing, you should install it.
as root, please execute "apt-get install wine32"
002b:err:module:__wine_process_init L"Z:\\home\\laptop\\Downloads\\mp3tagv286setup.exe" not supported on this system
laptop@laptop-K55VD:~/Downloads$ cd
laptop@laptop-K55VD:~$ sudo apt-get install wine32
[sudo] password for laptop:  
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
wine32:i386 : Depends: libwine:i386 (= 5.0-3ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
laptop@laptop-K55VD:~$ sudo apt-get install libwine:i386
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
libwine:i386 : Depends: libfontconfig1:i386 (>= 2.12.6) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libfreetype6:i386 (>= 2.6.2) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libfaudio0:i386 (>= 19.06.07) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libgphoto2-6:i386 (>= 2.5.10) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0:i386 (>= 1.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libgstreamer1.0-0:i386 (>= 1.4.0) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libmpg123-0:i386 (>= 1.13.7) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libopenal1:i386 (>= 1.14) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libpulse0:i386 (>= 0.99.1) but it is not going to be installed
               Recommends: libsane:i386 (>= 1.0.24) but it is not going to be installed
               Recommends: libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 (>= 2.0.10) but it is not going to be installed
               Recommends: libtiff5:i386 (>= 4.0.3) but it is not going to be installed
               Recommends: libasound2-plugins:i386 but it is not going to be installed
               Recommends: gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:i386 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
laptop@laptop-K55VD:~$
lascetic

Re: Cannot install wine32 on Kubuntu 20.04

Post by lascetic »

I got some help from kubuntu forums and it seems it's working fine now. Just for the record, I had added a ppa repo and I probably updated to some library versions that were conflicting with the installation of wine. I purged that repo and the versions went back to the ones on the default repos and then I was able to install wine and mp3tag which seems to work fine.
Bamm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cannot install wine32 on Kubuntu 20.04

Post by Bamm »

It's good you fixed it. For good measure, running "sudo apt-get install --fix-broken" will usually remove all conflicting packages to bring you back to an unbroken state, after which you can start again.