Controller detected by system, but not by Wine (presumed Wine/Xorg issue)

Questions about Wine on Linux
BradleyR

Controller detected by system, but not by Wine (presumed Wine/Xorg issue)

Post by BradleyR »

Hello all,

I've recently made some progress toward getting my rather uncommon (especially so, considering it released almost a decade ago) steering wheel working under Linux - the only functionality I 'permanently' lost after moving from Windows a few years back. The SRW-S1 had a driver written for it when it was released, and after some digging, I managed to get in contact with the original creator, who was happy to point me in the right direction in terms of getting the wheel recognised properly.

After some wrangling with the excellent community tools for my sim of choice (Assetto Corsa), I'm ready to get back on the virtual track. One blocker remains, however - Wine cannot see the wheel, apparently at all. My system shows the wheel being connected as /dev/input/js3, visible in Plasma's settings module as well as jstest-gtk, but despite showing entries for my HOTAS and pedals, there is no entry for the steering wheel anywhere - it doesn't appear in my system wine prefix, individual game prefixes administered via Lutris or those made by Proton/Steam. Steam itself does not see the wheel either, but I'm unsure if that's related.

I've had some experience with controller issues under Wine, but this one has me rather dumbfounded - I've had individual axes go missing, but never the entire controller. It's worth noting I am using an xorg.conf.d config snippet to prevent X from treating the wheel as a mouse, but the problem remains even with this disabled. I've attached my Xorg.0.log in case the issues lies with it's configuration (will test the controller under Wine in a Wayland-running VM), but the 'Failed to create a device for /dev/input/...' error thrown with the other controllers doesn't seem to affect anything, and is likely little help in terms of this issue. As a pure guess (derived from the lack of udev tagging as a joystick, see line ~740), I'd say the issue occurs before Wine has a chance to determine what controllers are connected, but that is pure speculation - hopefully someone more experienced than I in input device configuration can shed some light on the issue. I'll happily provide any additional logs etc. as needed.

I'd appreciate any help in getting the final step toward going simracing again completed, though I'll pre-emptively discount any suggestions to use x360ce etc. - they are very useful utilities, but not what I'm looking for here. That aside, thanks for reading.
BradleyR

Re: Controller detected by system, but not by Wine (presumed Wine/Xorg issue)

Post by BradleyR »

Update: Tested with a Wayland distro (openSUSE Leap 15.3) and in a 32-bit prefix, no luck. Not entirely surprising, but adds further confusion as to where the problem lies.