No Sound in any RPG Maker MV Games

Questions about Wine on Linux
Cookiessss
Level 1
Level 1

No Sound in any RPG Maker MV Games

Post by Cookiessss »

Hello,

I'm trying to run some RPG Maker MV games using wine but I get no sound at all and only with MV games, everything else works and I can get in-game and everything.
I tried multiple MV games and all have no sound.
Other games run perfectly in wine, even rpg maker ace games, only issue is MV.
"Test Sound" in wine confg also plays sound and system sound works.
Config is pretty much default as everything else worked out of box.

Logs:

Code: Select all

[8:9:1013/193549.447:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(157)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
[8:9:1013/193551.080:ERROR:gpu_process_transport_factory.cc(1024)] Lost UI shared context.
[99:131:1013/193551.097:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(133)] ContextResult::kTransientFailure: Failed to send GpuChannelMsg_CreateCommandBuffer.
[85:86:1013/193551.697:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(3309)] ContextResult::kFatalFailure: fail_if_major_perf_caveat + swiftshader
[85:86:1013/193551.715:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(3309)] ContextResult::kFatalFailure: fail_if_major_perf_caveat + swiftshader
This is all that shows up in terminal now, there was one line like "Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path" but i fixed by installing the package.
Not too sure about the logs left above, network seems not needed for single player game.
I tried looking around in the forum but other posts were about black screen issue and I couldn't find anything related to MV and sound.
FAQ mentioned PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC variable but its not set and 5.0 is using winepulse driver anyways.

Other notes:
MV games can run in browser as well, I tried that and it works with sound but the issue is that browser inner window is not re-sizable while wine window is. And save games dont load in browser while in wine they do.
Current workaround is running the game with proton by adding non-steam game and running it. But I would like to be able to run it without steam running in the background.

What I can still try:
- updating wine, however mostly everything works so I dont want to try bunch of stuff and mess something else up.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could try before I try updating?

Thanks

Details:
wine-5.0 (Ubuntu 5.0-3ubuntu1)
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Vega GPU
Overrides: msvcr120 (but didn't work so i removed it)
Cookiessss
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No Sound in any RPG Maker MV Games

Post by Cookiessss »

So I did more testing yesterday after posting and I tried updating wine version in a VM as a test before updating on main computer.

Updating to wine-6.0.1 fixed the sound issue in MV games. No other changes were made. Now everything works great!

I guess I should have done that before posting but I will leave the post up just in case someone else has this issue. Thanks