Questions about Wine on Linux
Wildebeest
Level 2
Level 2

Vulkan Error

Post by Wildebeest »

Currently using 6.0.1 Wine.

Code: Select all

00cc:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work.
00cc:err:system:ChangeDisplaySettingsExW Changing L"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1" display settings returned -2.
00cc:fixme:d3d:debug_d3dformat Unrecognized 0x4642564e (as fourcc: NVBF) WINED3DFORMAT!
00cc:fixme:d3d:wined3d_get_format Can't find format unrecognized (0x4642564e) in the format lookup table.
wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread cc at address 04834811 (thread 00cc), starting debugger...
0128:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 29 not handled, platform 1.
0128:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
0128:fixme:font:get_name_record_codepage encoding 20 not handled, platform 1.
0128:err:vulkan:wine_vk_init Failed to load libvulkan.so.1.
I don't have Vulkan installed on my Linux, I normally run everything in OpenGL. This is an old application, the only one giving me this error message. I have an older Nvidia card GT 700 series, driver installed is Nvidia 470. I tried Nouveau got the same error. Some people on other forums, have recommended rolling my Wine version back and using winetricks. I would like to continue using Wine 6.0.1.

Since I don't use the app all the time it could have been this whole last year. I honestly don't recall the last time I ran this program. Direct 3D is d3dx9_24.dll for this application, as I said, it is old. At this point, I would rather shelf the CD with my collection of others that no longer work, than to install Vulkan to my system. I know Vulkan is suppose to replace OpenGL in the distant future, but that day is not today. Please let me know what options are available. At this point, it appears WINE is the only application requesting installation of Vulkan.
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Vulkan Error

Post by invisible kid »

I feel your pain. I bit the bullet when world of warcraft stopped supporting gl and moved to vulkan. I went from 100 fps to 5 - 10. After adding support for 64 bit vulkan I went back to 100 fps. Battle.net requires 32 bit vulkan library that they do not provide binaries for, and it is difficult to cross compile compared to other traditional packages. I have to poach my 32 bit vulkan library from debian and can't use the latest version because of incompatible libc. It's a hot mess.

Nothing really to add, good luck!
Wildebeest
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wildebeest »

Thanks,
I have an older version of my system backed up on USB thumb drive for emergencies. I also have ample drive space to install it to another partition and run some tests. This upcoming weekend I will attempt to figure out at what point my system upgraded the game out of existence. I forgot to mention above, game in question, Battlefield 2 by DICE and EA Games, which apparently has a garbage rating here in the app database, but it was running flawlessly before. I recall picking it up at the local mall years ago from a $5 game bin. At least it isn't a long term investment such as Warcraft or some other MMO. I am not out a ton of money, I will just miss mindless destruction on a game I once enjoyed.

I have too many relic games on my shelf, some of them don't require WINE they can run in DOS Box. I try to buy Linux games when available, but lately the trend seems to be Microsoft and claim it is Linux compatible using a version of WINE. For example; I purchased Borderlands 2 the Linux version. Yet when Steam released the sequel to that game, they claimed it was for Linux, it uses Proton which is their fork of WINE. I am not against them using it, just want honesty about it being a Windows purchase.

About my Linux, I seldom need to update, I built my Linux based on the 18.04 Lubuntu version and use OpenBox as window manager. I keep it real lightweight and plan to rebuild the system with the release of the next Lubuntu LTS next year. That is my expected date I might add the Vulkan to the mix.
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by invisible kid »

Yet when Steam released the sequel to that game, they claimed it was for Linux, it uses Proton which is their fork of WINE. I am not against them using it, just want honesty about it being a Windows purchase.
I agree.
That is my expected date I might add the Vulkan to the mix.
Yep, they are dragging me along kicking and screaming. But it does work nice when you get it all set up. I will need to create a temporary environment to build the 32 bit version of vulkan if I want to stay up to date.
Wildebeest
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wildebeest »

I tried out my old Linux backup and no dice on this error. It would seem, this one will be in cold storage until I upgrade my system next summer. I am not one to upgrade to 22.04 in April or May, it will be more like late June or July. I always stick with the LTS and wait until we get the bugs out.
invisible kid wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:56 pm
Yep, they are dragging me along kicking and screaming. But it does work nice when you get it all set up. I will need to create a temporary environment to build the 32 bit version of vulkan if I want to stay up to date.
Off topic: My wife is using Windows 10 on her laptop and asked me last month about upgrading it to Windows 11. I told her is was unnecessary as support will not end until October of 2025 for the current OS. Long story short, I convinced her to let me order her out a new SSD and put Linux on it instead. Her laptop is an old HP, I know it will be better with Linux. Then she can mothball the old clunky HDD in a drawer as a back up. I am not surprised all the users with Windows thinking they need to swap ASAP.

If there is anything, anyone cares to share about Vulkan installs working with WINE, I would love to hear them. Good, bad, or ugly it don't matter to me.