Building specific version of WINE and applying changes individually

Questions about Wine on Linux
LateralShift
Level 2
Level 2

Building specific version of WINE and applying changes individually

Post by LateralShift »

Background: Several users - myself included - have reported a performance drop in recent versions. I use Staging, so for me the degradation comes between 6.7 -> 6.8. Other users have reported 6.10 -> 6.11 on the Devel branch.

What I'd like to do: Is it possible to clone the 6.7 version of the staging branch and apply the changes to 6.8 individually? If I find a single change causes the performance degradation, can I then upgrade the cloned repository all the way to 6.19 - the latest version at the time of writing - without that specific change?

I'm asking because, while I can build from source, using Git to target different versions and change accordingly is still a mystery to me. If it's possible, what's the best way to do this?
LateralShift
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Building specific version of WINE and applying changes individually

Post by LateralShift »

Sorry to bump my own thread but I have an update. I downloaded the source for wine-6.8 and wine-staging-6.8. I discovered that the performance regression is caused by a patch in ntdll-NtAlertThreadByThreadId (specifically patch 0011). If I wanted to have all the bug fixes from 6.8 onward without this patchset, would this work?
  • Download wine-6.0
  • Download wine-staging-6.19
  • run "patchinstall.py -a -W ntdll-NtAlertThreadByThreadId"
invisible kid
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Building specific version of WINE and applying changes individually

Post by invisible kid »

Sorry, can't directly answer your question, but just wanted to say good job on pinpointing the problem and hopefully they can fix the core issue for everyone.