Prefix Environment Variable Issue

Questions about Wine on Linux
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Prefix Environment Variable Issue

Post by malonn »

I'm on Mint 20.2, and the latest development build of Wine as of today. My trouble is whenever I launch an exe with the WINEPREFIX environment variable, the screen turns blue for a couple seconds (3 tops), and then the program launches. Sometimes the screen stays blue the entire time the program is running. In other cases (games) it turns blue for a couple/few seconds and returns to normal. It does not do this if I launch the exe via double-clicking it. But there is going to be times when I need to set the EV.

Any ideas why it would do this?
malonn
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Prefix Environment Variable Issue

Post by malonn »

After searching for a few hours, I figured out the problem. I had my prefix set to run all applications in a virtual desktop. That's why I was getting a blue screen when launching apps (executables). I read virtual desktops are good for keeping your DE in order on crashes, so maybe I'll use them for fullscreen games (or not, I'll have to see).

But, this problem is solved. I'd mark it "solved", but I don't know how or if that's possible.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Prefix Environment Variable Issue

Post by jkfloris »

Using a virtual desktop can prevent problems when a game tries to switch screen resolutions.

I'm glad you found and posted your solution.
You can't mark your post "solved", it will be locked after a while.