What would it take to get Affinity Designer up from garbage status to gold?

Questions about Wine on Linux
GenericUsername

What would it take to get Affinity Designer up from garbage status to gold?

Post by GenericUsername »

I've tried running Affinity Designer using Wine, but unfortunately, after some messing around with Lutris, winetricks and Proton I still haven't been able to make it work. There are quite a few threads online about people not succeeding in running it through Wine, with some small successes here and there that I couldn't reproduce. There's also more than one thread where people are begging Serif - the company that makes Affinity - to make a native Linux version. They won't, as they seem unconvinced that they'd recoup the initial investment and maintenance cost of shipping new versions.

I hear good things about how Valve's investment in Wine/Proton finally made a big number of Windows games accessible to Linux users. If I understood correctly they basically contracted CodeWeavers developers to make structural improvements to Wine. Since Affinity users seem to be running out of options, is it really a question of throwing money at the problem? And if so, is there a way to crowdfund support for specific applications? Is it a question of getting a few Affinity users to fund a few days of development? Or is it so tricky that you'd need to convince Serif to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in the hopes that it will grow their paying customer base?