Wine Applications runs slow like it's having render issue (specially web browsers)

Questions about Wine on Linux
mraf61

Wine Applications runs slow like it's having render issue (specially web browsers)

Post by mraf61 »

Hi all, since first time I install wine I faces countless issue with any software I try to run, either it's runs too slow or even freeze my system, I had to kill wine and it process from `tty2`, I mostly want to try old version of multiple browser, (*considering they will be lighter and having less issue*) , but no matter what I tried they all have same issue not running perfectly .
This is my System information:

Wine build: wine-6.16 (Staging)
Platform: i386
Version: Windows 7
Host system: Linux
Host version: 5.14.2-arch1-2

This is some of wine log when I started Firefox 80.08b
https://i.ibb.co/f0xSZph/Screenshot-202 ... -29-46.png

[Parent 416, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: file /builds/worker/checkouts/gecko/ipc/chromium/src/base/process_util_win.cc, line 166
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0000002C at address 69885D43 (thread 016c), starting debugger...
04e0:err:ole:CoReleaseMarshalData StdMarshal ReleaseMarshalData failed with error 0x8001011d
04e0:err:ole:start_rpcss Failed to start RpcSs service
LateralShift
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine Applications runs slow like it's having render issue (specially web browsers)

Post by LateralShift »

Just out of interest, does performance improve if you downgrade to 6.7 (Staging)?
mraf61

Re: Wine Applications runs slow like it's having render issue (specially web browsers)

Post by mraf61 »

`does performance improve if you downgrade to 6.7 (Staging)?`

I didn't test it, I'm trying to figure way ton install older version on my Archlinu machine, currently I found Wine 6.0.1-2 on AUR I'll test it and try version 6.7
mraf61

Post by mraf61 »

Thanks LateralShift for your suggesting I downgrade to version 6.7.1 , and everything works perfectly
I use this method to downgrade (It take from me bit of time to figure it out since I'm new with Arch)
sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/ ... kg.tar.zst
BTW already tried with AUR packages and unfortunately many packages I tried were given me error message e.g 403 with the merrors since some of them were dead .
LateralShift
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LateralShift »

mraf61 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:38 pm Thanks LateralShift for your suggesting I downgrade to version 6.7.1 , and everything works perfectly
I use this method to downgrade (It take from me bit of time to figure it out since I'm new with Arch)
sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/ ... kg.tar.zst
BTW already tried with AUR packages and unfortunately many packages I tried were given me error message e.g 403 with the merrors since some of them were dead .
Glad to hear it improved things. Something weird happened on the staging branch between 6.7 and 6.8. I thought I was going insane lol.
Dragos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dragos »

Experienced the same thing as the OP: all applications very slow.
Tested a set of two 32bit applications I use most, using the very same settings for each, in 32bit prefixes under Wine 6.7, 6.8, 6.10, 6.11 and all the rest up to 6.17 - all being devel versions.
Turned out they both ran fine under Wine 6.7, 6.8 and 6.10. The slow issue started with Wine 6.11 - which (co)incidentally fixed a longstanding display issue with HALFTONE bitmaps, a fix that I've been eagerly waiting for - and continues with all subsequent versions up to and including 6.17.

However for me this only happens in Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon (based on Ubuntu 18.04) using the 5.0.0-31 kernel. The same applications seem to run fine in a VirtualBox setup of Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon under the latest Wine 6.x versions.