Novation Launchpad S Issue

Questions about Wine on Linux
GiuBu

Novation Launchpad S Issue

Post by GiuBu »

Hello All, first post here.
So, I am running Ubuntu 20.04.
I have Live 11 installed on Wine 6.0.1, with WineAsio.
Everything works great, cannot complain at all, I'm still trying to figure out how to best setup my sound card ( Audigy2 Platinum) to access individual I/O channels and also get the lowest latency possible, but that's another issue.
I have two Novation Launchpad S. When I use only one, everything works great, no latency at all.
When I plug in the second one, It basically mirrors the output behaviour of the first one. On the input side of things, they are recognised as two separate MIDI devices, and I can assign different Tracks to them and play two different instruments at the same time. However, the visual feedback of the second Launchpad is the same as the first one. So it is like they are both listening to the same MIDI channel on the output of Live, which goes through Wine MIDI Driver. If I run the same setup in a Windows virtual machine on Vbox, I get the expected behaviour of two separate devices doing their own thing.

aconnect -i gives :

Code: Select all

client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 16: 'SB Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P]' [type=kernel,card=0]
    0 'Audigy MPU-401 (UART)'
   32 'Audigy MPU-401 #2'
client 24: 'Launchpad S 8' [type=kernel,card=2]
    0 'Launchpad S 8 MIDI 1'
client 28: 'Launchpad S' [type=kernel,card=3]
    0 'Launchpad S MIDI 1'

aconnect -o gives:

Code: Select all

client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 16: 'SB Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P]' [type=kernel,card=0]
    0 'Audigy MPU-401 (UART)'
   32 'Audigy MPU-401 #2'
client 17: 'Emu10k1 WaveTable' [type=kernel,card=0]
    0 'Emu10k1 Port 0  '
    1 'Emu10k1 Port 1  '
    2 'Emu10k1 Port 2  '
    3 'Emu10k1 Port 3  '
client 24: 'Launchpad S 8' [type=kernel,card=2]
    0 'Launchpad S 8 MIDI 1'
client 28: 'Launchpad S' [type=kernel,card=3]
    0 'Launchpad S MIDI 1'

In Jack they are both running through Wine MIDI Driver, but both Launchpads go to the same Alsa Input, and are connected to the same Alsa Output.
I tried to change MIDIMap settings in Wine, but it seems like it's not there at all.
Anybody using 2 Launchpads on Wine? I tried to google it, but not much has come up.
If anybody is curious, the reason I would like to use 2 Launchpads is that one is for me, the other is for my son...
GiuBu

Re: Novation Launchpad S Issue

Post by GiuBu »

After further testing and research, I believe the problem lies with Wine Midi Driver.
I am trying to install the Virtual Midi Driver in Wine as part of the automap.exe from Ableton, and it just hangs on installing the driver.
the terminal output is:
0160:fixme:setupapi:UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevicesW Unhandled flags 0x1.
I have read that is not possible to install this driver in Wine. Is that still the case or is there a workaround?
I am thinking that if Wine Midi Driver could setup multiple I/O ports, maybe that could be a way to route the MIDI information,
but I am totally ignorant in how to do it and if it can work at all.
Poking around at config files didn't show any possibilities for me...
I am hoping somebody with more knowledge in the matter can chime in....