Wine cripples system while applications start?

Questions about Wine on Linux
TheForgottenKing

Wine cripples system while applications start?

Post by TheForgottenKing »

I've had an issue recently where wine causes my entire system to lag horribly when starting any application or switching screens. Any programs take minutes to start and while this is happening my mouse and keyboard inputs lag terribly, often taking seconds to input if at all. Even running winecfg causes this to happen. I have tried reinstalling wine, using another user account, and deleting my wine prefix.

I am using the proprietary Nvidia drivers, as my system does not work with Nouveau. Running version 6.13, Arch Linux. This used to not be an issue even with the proprietary Nvidia driver.

Here's an example output from terminal.

Code: Select all

0064:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
0064:fixme:xrandr:xrandr10_get_current_mode Non-primary adapters are unsupported.
0064:fixme:xrandr:xrandr10_get_current_mode Non-primary adapters are unsupported.
0034:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
00cc:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
00cc:err:module:open_builtin_so_file failed to load .so lib "/usr/lib32/wine/i386-unix/l3codeca.acm.so"
010c:err:winediag:is_broken_driver Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine cripples system while applications start?

Post by jkfloris »

TheForgottenKing

jkfloris wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:39 pm Did you try: https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Broken_NVID ... _RandR_1.0
Issue persists.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

What graphics card do you have? And what is the version number of the driver?
TheForgottenKing

jkfloris wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:28 am What graphics card do you have? And what is the version number of the driver?
Nvidia Quadro FX 2800M, version 340.108 (legacy drivers).

I don't think it's a graphics issue, because once the program loads it works fine until any menus are loaded.
systemofapwne

Post by systemofapwne »

Is there any news regarding that matter? I have the exact same problem.

Manjaro, wine-6.16, Kernel 5.10.68-1, nVidia 470.63.01, GPU: RTX 2080 Ti.

Two of my other systems, with (supposed to be) same software configuration but different GPUs (Laptop:Mobile GTX 880, Workstation:Quaddro RTX 4000) do not show any problems.
systemofapwne

Post by systemofapwne »

I almost forgot to mention: Whenever this happens for me, my xorg-server rises to 100% CPU on a single core. Since xorg seems to only utilized one core, this might be the main reason for crippling the desktop experience.
I yet have to figure out, why this happens. This is very hard to debug. wine itself (even with WINEDEBUG=+all) shows no abnormalities. Neither does xorg (yet). journalctl and kernellog are "quiet". I probably should somehow get Xorg more verbose. Lets see how far I get.

Btw: Valve's Proton does not show any problems.
jovaska

Post by jovaska »

It seems that the fallback to RandR 1.0 is the culprit here. I took a look at Valve's patched version of wine that Proton uses as it also works on my machine unlike regular wine. They've outright removed the Nvidia RandR check and it works fine, so I'm not sure why it's even there to begin with. Creating a quick patch that removes it from wine and recompiling fixed the issue for me.
iq2luc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iq2luc »

Thank you so much @jovaska.
Your suggestion solved my issue (see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36360#p137849).
FrederickZh

Post by FrederickZh »

Thank you @jovaska. I also have this issue and removing the fallback also fixed it for me (btw I think the commit is https://github.com/ValveSoftware/wine/c ... 81d96e2e59 in Proton).

This fallback seemed to be introduced in https://github.com/wine-mirror/wine/com ... eb5bb08c2c, then refined in https://github.com/wine-mirror/wine/com ... ca8731e5e6 and https://github.com/wine-mirror/wine/com ... 7535bc9775. As the comment suggests, it's got something to do with non-native resolutions, which I am not able to test cos nvidia doesn't even allow me to easily add new modes :(

Those who do have this setup probably have some sort of overrides in xorg.conf? And I do wonder if they get any decent performance out of this? If even those who are affected by this just throw in the towel and use native modes only, perhaps we should just remove it?