Band in a Box 64 bit needs Windows Media Player

Questions about Wine on Linux
MusoCity
Level 1
Level 1

Band in a Box 64 bit needs Windows Media Player

Post by MusoCity »

I'm looking for a way to install Windows Media Player on a 64 bit Wine as Band in a Box 2021 64bit uses it to preview demo wma in it's dialogs.

I'm getting OLE error 80004002 opening these dialogs
This is native on Windows 10

This is Wine on Linux
dimesio

Re: Band in a Box 64 bit needs Windows Media Player

Post by dimesio »

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development or staging release, upgrade, as a lot of work has been done on winegstreamer lately. Next, have you installed the gstreamer libav plugin? I believe that's the one that has the codec needed for wma files.

As for installing WMP, Windows 10 uses WMP 12, and there is no legal download for that. The AppDB page for WMP has an entry for 64 bit WMP 11 with some very old test reports, but that "64 bit" version was just the 32 bit app wrapped in a 64 bit installer and was meant for XP, so I doubt that will help you, either.
MusoCity
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MusoCity »

I have been trying it on different Linux Distros with wine wine-staging wine-development Crossover...
The WMP is just the old XP one.
Can I copy some files from from Win10 to get it to work ?
MusoCity
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MusoCity »

This has been a day in day out sage testing this.

It's running good natively on Linux in wine after first trying in VirtualBox, it's near as quick as on Windows.
The 2 issues are still unresolved,
1. Windows Media Player to play demos (this has been a nightmare trying to get it integrated)
2. CoyoteDXi needed to render in the BBPlugin

They are the 2 issues that need resolving for Linux users.
The wmp can be fixed by adding an internal Delphi player into bbw/bbw4 like http://www.geocities.ws/jovi9200/ as BiabWin is in Delphi.

The Coyote issue preventing bbw4 (the back end for the BiabVST) to render can be fixed by getting bbw4 to use a soundfont without the Coyote DXi.
The sync playback is in-sync with the track in the DAW.

This is native in Ubuntu using LinVst
BBPlugin-Reaper-Linux.gif

I got the wmp buttons to show in the GUI by copying the wmpXXXX.dll's from Win7 system32 and registering in wine but not sound just a message saying Windows Media Player not installed.
BB21-SylePicker-Ubuntu-Wine.png