Wine in game not showing contents in other storage devices

Questions about Wine on Linux
GamerGuy95

Wine in game not showing contents in other storage devices

Post by GamerGuy95 »

I've wanted to sync my user data between windows and Linux using a separate storage device to prevent conflicts between the operating systems. On windows, it works fine! I can choose the location I want and it does it perfectly but on Linux in Wine config, it shows up all the files inside the storage device but not when you're trying to open something or choosing a location from a game. It's really frustrating because I tried to create a shortcut to the folder in the home directory with no success and I've tried creating a shortcut in Wine itself with the same results too. Does anyone have a solution to my problem? I've tried looking for support on Proton but I couldn't find anywhere to ask for help so my only option was here. I am using protontricks.

System:
Linux Manjaro KDE

Game
BeamNG.Drive v22.3
Proton 6.3-4
Wodger
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine in game not showing contents in other storage devices

Post by Wodger »

Hi mate,

Yeah, I too have experienced the same issues you are encountering regarding proton when I was dual booting - I've since said goodbye to windows and thus not continued looking into it.

If you are running dual boot you will encounter possible issues using ntfs drives and proton stuff - AFAIK its to do with ntfs not liking some of the filenames in the prefix - there is a way around it that I think is listed on the proton github. Search "ntfs drive and proton" in google.

Onto the other issue of not seeing drives within the game. I found a user on reddit that reported this behavior in proton prefixes (hence why I try to run everything in vanilla wine if I can - obviously not possible for most steam games). Basically they found that proton locks the game to see only files/drives within the prefix. The user also said it might be possible to use winecfg to add the drive there, but could cause other issues?
Article on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamPlay/comm ... nal_drive/

Pete
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine in game not showing contents in other storage devices

Post by Bob Wya »

@GamerGuy95

Perhaps you could bind mount the shared location directly under the C:\ drive of the Proton WINEPREFIX(es) - specific to the Steam game(s) you need to access this shared location?

Bob