Error (1-6) on trying to launch simple translation software

Questions about Wine on Linux
Jeanno

Error (1-6) on trying to launch simple translation software

Post by Jeanno »

Hi folks, I am new to Linux but got some programs to work and am so far quite happy with it and like to stay on Linux.

I have installed Linux Mint alongside Windows and I like to launch a Dutch/English translation exe which is on the Windows partition. Wine says it cannot open the database as it is not on the given location (C:\VanDale\ ... etc.etc.) But the Windows partion is not longer visible as C: So I cannot change the path to C:\

Any clues? I am very grateful for your help :D

Many, many thanks!
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Error (1-6) on trying to launch simple translation software

Post by Bob Wya »

Jeanno wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:48 am ...
I have installed Linux Mint alongside Windows and I like to launch a Dutch/English translation exe which is on the Windows partition. Wine says it cannot open the database as it is not on the given location (C:\VanDale\ ... etc.etc.) But the Windows partion is not longer visible as C: So I cannot change the path to C:\
You shouldn't try to run your software installed, directly on a native Windows partition.
See: WineHQ FAQ: 5.1 I have lots of applications already installed in Windows. How do I run them in Wine?

First step would be to get an up-to-date version of Wine. See: WineHQ Wiki: Ubuntu.

Then try re-installing your translation application to a clean WINEPREFIX ...
See: WineHQ FAQ: 6.5 Wineprefixes.

Bob
Jeanno

Post by Jeanno »

Many thanks Bob, you're great! Thumbs up.
I will seek for the iso I must have somewhere and copy that to the Linux partition. Hopefully I manage to install the software that way, it certainly seems now to be the way to do it.
In retrospect I am a bit embarrased that I did not study all the wiki of WineHQ, so you directed me to the right track. Thanks for that too.
Cheers!
Fred
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

np. Good luck! 8)

Bob