Can't open windows programs at all

Questions about Wine on Linux
usrnm
Level 1
Level 1

Can't open windows programs at all

Post by usrnm »

I've installed wine on my fresh boot of Garuda Linux (Arch based) and installed wine, set it up, but I can't open any programs. Upon double pressing, the program loads for a few solid seconds and then nothing happens (using "Wine Windows Program Loader"). If I use "a wine application", wine opens notepad with ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs. Steam games seem to work flawlessly.

My installation process:

Code: Select all

sudo pacman -S wine
sudo pacman -S winetricks
sudo winetricks --self-update

mkdir wine
cd wine
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/wine/WinDrivers winetricks
DLL installation here (press on the screenshot to zoom it in): d3dcompiler 42, 43, 47, d3dx9, dotnet 30, 40, 45, 48, vcrun2003, 5, 8, 10, 12, 13, 17, vcrun6 and GDIplus
https://i.imgur.com/mKtL7WR.png

I've also installed Allfonts and tagged tahoma in case it doesn't install with "allfonts" (I actually don't know if it does), and set the cfg thing to Windows 7.

I've been using this setup all the time (except GDIplus which I added in case I needed it for some reason) and everything always worked well.

I also tried to reinstall wine, but nothing happens.
usrnm
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't open windows programs at all

Post by usrnm »

I managed to fix this issue while the topic was under inspection by the website owners. I simply had to install wine-stable instead of wine. Everything works now without any issues whatsoever.

Remember to always install "wine-stable" instead of "wine".