Creating fresh wine prefix: empty UI + crash (arch + v6.9)

Questions about Wine on Linux
nuxer-7733

Creating fresh wine prefix: empty UI + crash (arch + v6.9)

Post by nuxer-7733 »

Hi pros, just killed some old prefixes, and setting up a new, fresh prefix, but suddenly facing empty UIs and crashes while doing so, using my arch linux. Didn't need to do so for quite some time, so I'm not sure when exactly I might have been hit by some functional regression. More details:

Distro:

Code: Select all

$ uname -a                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Linux PC 5.12.6-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun, 23 May 2021 00:45:50 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
wine related installs including version, (installing and using 'wine-staging' instead of 'wine' does not make a difference):

$ pacman -Q | grep wine
wine 6.9-1
wine-mono 6.1.1-1
winetricks 20210206-1
I'm using an NVidia GeForce GTX 980 in combination with my KDE Plasma desktop:

$ lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E "(VGA|3D)"                                                                                                                                                                                                          
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 980] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. Device 1370
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
...with the latest NVidia driver 465.31 being available:

$ nvidia-smi
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 465.31       Driver Version: 465.31       CUDA Version: 11.3     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
None of my prefix-creations work out (neither for WINEARCH=win32 nor for WINEARCH=win64), this is for example how my win32-creation reads in the output:

$ rm -rf ./.wine && WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/tobias/.wine'
0048:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:apartment_get_local_server_stream Failed: 0x80004002
0050:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
0050:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
0050:err:ole:apartment_get_local_server_stream Failed: 0x80004002
0050:err:ole:start_rpcss Failed to open RpcSs service
0040:fixme:file:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
0040:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0040:err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
0040:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 1)
0040:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 1)
wine: configuration in L"/home/tobias/.wine" has been updated.
0024:fixme:file:errno_to_status Converting errno 75 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
00d0:fixme:file:errno_to_status Converting errno 75 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
00d8:fixme:file:errno_to_status Converting errno 75 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
Somehow my UI-rendering seems to be broken, see attachments, because
- the initial wine dialog looks empty
- the settings dialog seems to render the tabs only, but no contents, and when I'm e.g. clicking the third tab, I get some crash plus empty crash dialog, too
- running a simple notepad.exe renders the text area, but nothing else

What I already tried:
- considering the FAQ-article FAQ '10.4.6 Wine displays corrupted or missing text'
- uninstall/reinstall wine and wine-staging from arch's repos
- built and installed via wine-stable

...but the problem remains unchanged.

Any ideas what might be the problem here?

Thank you for your help, really appreciate any hint what might be the problem!

Regards,
Tobias
Attachments
Running Notepad via 'wine notepad.exe'
Running Notepad via 'wine notepad.exe'
Empty config dialog, clicking third tab causes crash
Empty config dialog, clicking third tab causes crash
Fresh setup prefix, initial dialog
Fresh setup prefix, initial dialog
nuxer-7733

Re: Creating fresh wine prefix: empty UI + crash (arch + v6.9)

Post by nuxer-7733 »

tl;dr: I accidentally had an asterisk in my /usr/share/fonts/WindowsFonts-path, don't know where that came from... :roll:

Detailed version: which pointed me to the right track was, as the Wine - Archwiki under 'fonts' says:
If Wine applications are not showing easily readable fonts, you may not have any fonts installed. To easily link all of the system fonts so they are accessible from wine.
I (initially) thought this couldn't be the cause of the problem, because notepad.exe.

But after running the script given there, in order to create symlinks for all fonts:

$ cd ${WINEPREFIX:-~/.wine}/drive_c/windows/Fonts && for i in /usr/share/fonts/**/*.{ttf,otf}; do ln -s "$i" ; done
...at least my winecfg-dialog was working again, even if the initial wine-dialog was still empty, but which pointed me in the direction that something seems to prevent wine from finding my definitely installed windows fonts:

ls /usr/share/fonts/**/*.{ttf,otf} | grep verdana.ttf                                                                                                                                                                   ✔  09:20:18 
/usr/share/fonts/WindowsFonts/*/verdana.ttf
...which made me realize that there is an asterisk in my font path..?!?! Kicking that asterisk folder made everything work fine again.