Application *Requires* Windows 10, refuses to install despite winecfg set to win10

Questions about Wine on Linux
Botagar

Application *Requires* Windows 10, refuses to install despite winecfg set to win10

Post by Botagar »

Hello good people of the internet.

So I'm trying to install a program that *requires* Windows 10, but as i attempt to execute it, it checks *things* to make sure it's Windows 10.
The problem I'm facing is that I've already set through winecfg that everything should be Windows 10, and in regedit the current version of windows does appear to be Windows 10.

So I'm wondering what other things in the system could the application be checking to see if we are in fact Windows 10 that we could possibly fool? Or am I looking at a prolonged game of whack-a-mole with configuring things one after another?

Unfortunately I can't say what that application is, so I'm asking for more generic advice here.

Thanks!
SetantaLP
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Application *Requires* Windows 10, refuses to install despite winecfg set to win10

Post by SetantaLP »

The application might check for a specific version of Windows 10 and depending on which wine version you use, the version wine writes into the registry might be older than the version the program requires at least.

Besides that, the application might check if specific functions (introduced in one of the versions of windows 10 and which the program probably needs) are present, which might not be the case in wine.