World of Warcraft Classic Unable to start up 3D Acceleration

Questions about Wine on Linux
gcapris

World of Warcraft Classic Unable to start up 3D Acceleration

Post by gcapris »

Hello to all.

I’ve been using Lutris + Wine to play World of Warcraft Classic for quite some time now, maybe around 5 months. During this time I only had minor issues quickly fixable. The game was working correctly, including the DXVK, Esync, graphics and stability.

This week I’ve noticed that I had a lot of packages to update and, among those, Mesa-Vulkan (from kisak-mesa PPA) and Wine staging. Update+Upgrade all done. All installed. Rebooted the system. But now a massage pops up when trying to open WoW via Lutris: “World of Warcraft Classic was Unable to start up 3D Acceleration”.

Already having the latest Lutris version installed, that’s what I’ve tried to do so far to try fixing it:
  • Disabling DXVK on Lutris: by doing this the game opens but soon enough it crashed when trying to play on different maps;
  • Using a different Wine version: lutris versions 5.1 to 6.4 with DXVK on. None worked.
  • Using a different DXVK version: tried to use every previous versions available on Lutris, from versions 1.7L, 1.7.1L to 1.7.3L-03f11ba (the most recent version available on Lutris for me). None worked.
  • Downloading/Updating DXVK to the latest version: downloaded versions 1.8 and 1.8.1 from the official Github and installed them on Lutris’ .local file path. Didn’t work.
I’ve looked on the internet for the same problem and found a couple of results, although none with a solution. Many suggesting to update Lutris, Wine, Kernel, but I have the most recent version available of it all - and it still doesn’t work.

Here are the current versions of my system - all recently updated:
  • Kernel: 5.8.0-53-generic
  • Lutris: 0.5.8.3
  • Wine: 6.8 Staging
  • Mesa-Vulkan: 21.1.0 (kisak-mesa ppa / stable Mesa version)
  • DXKV: 1.7.3L-03f11ba (latest on Lutris) / 1.8.1 (latest on the official Github)
  • GPUs: AMD ATI Radeon R7 M260/M265 + Intel UHD Graphics 620
Follow as well the log from Lutris using -d command on terminal: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/HjDK86rD6W/

Battle.net and other games via Lutris are running just fine. It updated WoW today with no issues, by the way (after the problem was already occurring).

I’m getting kinda desperate because in a few weeks WoW TBC will come out and I’m afraid not to be able to enjoy it from day one. :(

Is any one having the same issue and/or just happened to find a solution for it?

Any help is very much welcome!

Many thanks,
gcapris

Re: World of Warcraft Classic Unable to start up 3D Acceleration

Post by gcapris »

[UPDATE]

The solution and further discussion regarding this issue can be found at DXVK's official Github: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

Just to clarify this is not a Wine issue, therefore this post can be deleted if must.

Thanks!