Star Wars Galactic Battlefront Saga 99.9% working with one caveat...

Questions about Wine on Linux
ChipNod2020

Star Wars Galactic Battlefront Saga 99.9% working with one caveat...

Post by ChipNod2020 »

Hey All!

Thank you for the great software!

What I'm asking about is that I have gotten Star Wars Galactic Battlefront Saga working using the mods from Expanded Fronts. I can run it at 1920x1080 in windowed mode and it does run just right with one caveat. The game has to run within a windowed frame. What is happening is that there is a small offset so that I can't get at the bottom and the right side of the screen. The only way it runs properly is in windowed mode.

I'm running Manjaro (X and sddm). On the image below, please pay attention to the top left corner for a good example of what I'm talking about. I'm hoping that there are a couple of X tweaks that I can use to 1) center the window with the window borders hiding outside the active screen and 2) bring it on top of all of the other windows.

Here is what it looks like: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jXajc3 ... sp=sharing

Anyone have any good ideas on how to get around this?
andrew.smart
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Star Wars Galactic Battlefront Saga 99.9% working with one caveat...

Post by andrew.smart »

I'm sure others have suggestions, but I'll share this workaround... it doesn't satisfy your stated constraints surrounding the use of a particular window manager, but might be a satisfactory solution for you.

Sometimes I can get games to work better when putting them in their own "X server", or "X session" (I'm not sure what the proper terminology is. Then Ctrl+Alt+F8 to get to the game, then Ctrl+Alt+F7 to get back to the main X session.

You can start a game with or without a window manager in this new X session. You can even use a different window manager than you typically use in your main session. You can search around for "start wine startx" or "start game in separate X server", e.g.:
viewtopic.php?t=11159

Here is an old script of mine I found at a glance, which starts a window manager in the session, and a terminal I think I used to launch the fullscreen game:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env bash
startx xfwm4 -- :1 &
# Ctrl+Alt+F8 to new X session
# Ctrl+C in this terminal to shut the new X session down IIRC
sleep 5 && DISPLAY=:1 bash ~/.xinitrc
#DISPLAY=:1 battlenet.sh
Maybe that way you can get your game to work in Fullscreen mode, and dodge any limitations or gotchas of a window manager. Happy hacking.
andrew.smart
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Star Wars Galactic Battlefront Saga 99.9% working with one caveat...

Post by andrew.smart »

Also figure out what window manager you're using and read about how to configure it, is another suggestion: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Desk ... w_Managers