Wine prefix communication

Questions about Wine on Linux
Wodger

Wine prefix communication

Post by Wodger » Sat May 01, 2021 7:07 am

Good day,

I have a windows program that can launch several windows apps from it. I have this program in one prefix. Everything works fine if I install and launch the apps within the same prefix as the launcher program - the apps depend on access to the launcher program. However, I would like to split the apps into separate prefixes that can each be configured with extra requirements (so I don't end up with one massive prefix doing everything and can do individual updates to the apps if required).

I have been playing around and googling and as far have not come up with a way yet to do this as the app cannot "see" the launcher as its on a different prefix.

Only one app will be required to be opened at once, so in total there would be only the launcher prefix (the "master" one in effect) and one of the app prefixes (the "slave" one) running at any one time.

If anyone could let me know if this is possible or I'm barking up the wrong tree :)

Pete.

invisible kid
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Wine prefix communication

Post by invisible kid » Sun May 02, 2021 6:02 pm

Hi, I am just a commenter and not an "official" source on anything, but my guess is that it wouldn't be possible? It would be similar(not exactly) to having multiple versions of Windows on one computer at the same time?

Wodger

Re: Wine prefix communication

Post by Wodger » Sun May 02, 2021 9:15 pm

invisible kid wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:02 pm
Hi, I am just a commenter and not an "official" source on anything, but my guess is that it wouldn't be possible? It would be similar(not exactly) to having multiple versions of Windows on one computer at the same time?
Thanks for your input and Happy Monday!

I see your point - pretty much everything I have read online suggests its a dead end. The way I am looking at it is each prefix is a separate unit in a way (separate system), and as such it comes down to probably issuing commands using networking of some sort (ssh, telnet or serial type communication?). I am actually planning to set up two test windows VM's on my linux system and try and communicate in that sort of fashion to see if it works via network commands - if it doesn't I probably am pretty much stuck with using one prefix for the launcher and the apps, which yeah it will work, but will make updating or adjusting requirements a bit more fiddly.
I will reply with results of my VM experiment perhaps later today.

Pete