Wine 6.6 not opening anything

Questions about Wine on Linux
Iammethe24

Wine 6.6 not opening anything

Post by Iammethe24 »

I recently changed from winehq-stable (6.0) to winehq-devel (6.6) and something weird happened, nothing ever launches anymore. I've decided to see what's happening via System Monitor, and I can see Wine processes opening and immidiately closing afterwards when I open a .exe from Nautilus. I would like to know why this is happening and how to fix this. I'm using Ubuntu 20.10. I have not made any library or DLL Overrides in winecfg nor have used winetricks.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wine 6.6 not opening anything

Post by spoon0042 »

Can you run wine from a terminal and post the output? Like 'cd' to the directory of something that doesn't work then 'wine program.exe'

There is a bug or two currently causing issues, you may have to downgrade temporarily.
Iammethe24

Post by Iammethe24 »

I just tested it, I can open programs using the command line interface. I still can't launch it successfully using Nautilus though. :D
abraxa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abraxa »

Thank you for bringing this up.

I have had the same experience with Winetricks/Wine 6.6-1 and Dolphin. EXEs do not launch anymore, except when started from within the Konsole.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

6.7 released today, once packages are available can you check that things are working again?
Iammethe24

Post by Iammethe24 »

Nope, it's exactly the same on 6.7
lorn10

Post by lorn10 »

I had the same weird problem, - when I upgraded to Wine 6.6 devel I was also not able to start a Windows application with a double-click. It ran only from console. After upgrading to Wine 6.7 devel the problem was still present. Then I proceed a reboot and now everything works as it should! As far as I can remember I had to wait the first time a while until the Windows app has started. But this was really only the first time after the reboot the case. Now I can launch the Windows programs normally.

This is really strange. Whatever, I am on latest Kubuntu 20.04 LTS.